Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

I want a sport tourer/adventure bike

Started by RDryan, October 30, 2019, 04:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDryan

Well actually I want one of everything. :haw:...but with limited room and finances to maintain a number of bikes I gotta pick and choose. Currently the stable consist of a 2007 Honda Ruckus I have owned since new and has tremendous sentimental value. A 2006 GSXR1000 with pretty much every bolt on mod they make, I bought it used that way and I really love the bike but it's brutally uncomfortable if you get stuck in any kinda slow riding tempo/traffic. Then there is my 1975 RD250 which was a fun accident of sorts that I bought it at my local bike shop. I consider the RD a blessing because prior to that I was and still do pine for either an H1 or H2, which are just thru the roof expensive.

So the thing is I really don't wanna let of the power of the gixxer but I desperately need something more comfy and reliable to enjoy. I keep looking at the KTM 1290 adventure R or the BMW s100xr. I guess I like all the new gizmos they possess, hard bags, and nearly the same power output albeit heavier than my gixxer. Anybody own these kinda bikes?...what do you all think? I also like the Honda Africa, it's not quite as powerful but it looks sharp and sporty. I really don't plan on off roading but all these bikes seem so dynamic in a word as they can do quite a bit on and off road and swallow the miles in a sporty way. Also I'm only looking at bikes between the years of 2015-2018. Just curious what you allmay think,sharing my bike lust.

I will say there is a 2017 Honda Africa with roughly 1500 miles on it local to me for 9k, seems like a good deal. It doesn't have panniers but it does have a nice crash bar setup. It's the manual model and I guess you can even put a Rekluse clutch on it.   

m in sc

1000 v strom. decent tractor bike, people that have them love them.

I have an old man touring concours. it splenty fast but def not for off road.  the africa is a solid choice

quocle603

If you're on a budget, get yourself a big bore enduro bike like a DR650. If you have the cash, I've heard good stuff about the BMW GS bikes.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

RDryan

Yeah I see those Vstroms and I always liked them but now that they've been around for so long and it seems this industry segment marches on with the latest and greatest...dare I say they look kinda old and piggy? On the other hand there is some very good deals on them outfitted with extras and even decently low mileage used examples at that. Honestly it's probably more bike than I would ever need but I'm like a kid in a candy store. :devil: In regards to the DR650, I imagine that would be a better bike once the asphalt turns to dirt but in reality I probably will be on the asphalt a lot more.

This genre of bike is amazing to me in how the mfgr's have so many varying degrees of bike with useable power to stupid power. Ability to go offroad vs. stick to road like glue. Low budget vs. the high end with abs and traction control/ride modes. Not to mention style, I have a poster of the MV Tourismo in my kitchen and what a pretty bike it is. :toot: Just so many bikes out there and they're all compromises, LOL...

motodreams

KTMs are a thousand times superior to the GS bikes if you plan on being more than a tiddler.  Think it all depends on what you want to use it for.  Those old KLR/DR bikes last a long time and are cheap but relatively boring.  BMW GS is likely a step up but more cash then you get into some better options like the KTM and the S bmw (which is a lot more sport than enduro with all that power on tap).

RDryan

That's interesting as I watched some video's that claimed the new 1290R having a bit more torque on tap than the S1000XR. But the S has those 17' wheels so and on the fly suspension tuning, not sure that helps but it sounds good  :whistle:

suey1958

I have a GS Adventure that I like a lot. I have ridden it nearly 75K miles. I had DR's and KLR's before I bought it.
Its Really TALL though.

RDryan

Wow thats a pretty bike suey1958!  :clap:  So how would you compare it to what you had before? In terms of riding on the road?

suey1958

I  realized I liked the adventure concept from having the KLR (which I liked a lot and still do).   I haven't ridden the other BIG adventure bikes so I cant really compare those to the BMW.
If I was going to do it again I would probably want to test ride the KTM and the Ducati Multistrada

The off road guys laugh at mine because it doesn't have mud on it.

pdxjim

If you have no intention of going off road, maybe you should be looking at Sport Standards?

KTM 690 Duke would be at the top of my list. 
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

forexer

How many miles on your K6 - let me know if you want to sell it

Czakky

gwcrim

I like all the creature comforts as well and I have no intention of going off road.  My sport/touring bike is a 2014 Triumph Trophy.  Ugly as all hell but it's the best motorcycle I'll ever own.  The Trophy was designed to compete with the BMW R1200T. It does a very good job.

It's got radio, cruise control, electronic adjustable suspension and windscreen, the hardbags hold full face helmets.  The three cylinder engine is about 135 HP and it can keep up all but the craziest of squids.  Seating position is about dead upright so you can gobble up the miles without any discomfort at all.

If I could only have one bike, it would be the Trophy.

RDryan

Hi, I am really happy I started this thread. It's nice to see what others have in their stable and believe me I've been temporarily satiating my sport/tourer biker wanderlust with a bit of googling every bike each of you posters has mentioned, LOL. It's an amazing segment of the motorcycle industry and it seems like there can be some fair deals to be had, just depends on the buyer, I think...
Well I had some interest in my K6 which is flattering but I really love the bike. Mostly I just don't like the pressure it puts on my wrists. To further that I'm seriously considering a fix that may keep me from getting another bike. Thinking about getting a set of Helibars or some kind of dedicated bar riser set up.

Anyway if anyone has any more sport/tourers to rave about and the mood strikes you then don't hesitate. Feel free to talk about it. I love looking at em all  ;D

pdxjim

Quote from: pdxjim on October 30, 2019, 09:35:38 PM
If you have no intention of going off road, maybe you should be looking at Sport Standards?

KTM 690 Duke would be at the top of my list. 

I meant 790 Duke.

The 690 is a single, and OK, the 790 is a twin and very rad.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A