click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Harley

Started by RDFL, November 05, 2019, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

Old Brit

Quote from: gwcrim on November 07, 2019, 03:13:07 PM
I hope it does well but it will probably be half as capable as  KTM and twice the price.  It will have great chrome skull accessories, no doubt.
My guess is that it won't just be KTM's offerings that'll make HD's attempt at an adventure bike look rather misguided. But then there's so many folks I've met over here who'd never allow themselves to experience the delights of anything other than an HD  :umm:. The only reason for it I've ever been able to come up with is that they're afraid they'll like it, they've no idea what they're missing  :metal:

m in sc

^ there is a lot of truth to that observation. I've experienced that as well when you get talking to HD folks. Not all, but a lot. Its like getting a kid to try vegetables.  :dawg:

Alain2

Harley-Davidson actual buyers are getting older and riding less and less everyday.
Harley sold tons of bikes because they were bad ass to the eye of the buyers, but these badasses are now 55-75yo.

To survive the next decade, Harley has to offer a product appealing to the new and bigger generation, the younger millennials. Problem is, millennials do not value motorcycles that same way boomers and genX do.

I think the new line of Harley is targeting genX, waiting for the millennials to get older and have more free money to spend on useless things.

Millennials want technology, style and low price; I bet the 2020 Yamaha MT-03 will hit that target perfectly.

:twocents:
1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

RDFL

Quote from: Old Brit on February 21, 2020, 02:55:51 AM
Quote from: gwcrim on November 07, 2019, 03:13:07 PM
I hope it does well but it will probably be half as capable as  KTM and twice the price.  It will have great chrome skull accessories, no doubt.
My guess is that it won't just be KTM's offerings that'll make HD's attempt at an adventure bike look rather misguided. But then there's so many folks I've met over here who'd never allow themselves to experience the delights of anything other than an HD  :umm:. The only reason for it I've ever been able to come up with is that they're afraid they'll like it, they've no idea what they're missing  :metal:
I don't know how many times I heard, first thing I did was take those Showa forks off threw them in garbage (said before someone could say they had Japanese forks, because they heard it before) And of course the AMF years weren't real Harleys.

RDFL

Just found out Kawasaki bought Harley in 2014

m in sc

No they didn't. That's a myth/urban legend.

suey1958

Pretty sure I had read that it was a rumor that started as an April Fools joke.

RDryan

Old Brit

Quote from: m in sc on February 21, 2020, 06:44:32 AM
^ there is a lot of truth to that observation. I've experienced that as well when you get talking to HD folks. Not all, but a lot. Its like getting a kid to try vegetables.  :dawg:
There you go, the perfect analogy  :clap: 8)
The other I should add is that my 2 best USA buddies of 20yrs+ (50 & 60 yr old life long HD riders) couldn't believe how my Ducati Diavel rode when they tried it, it absolutely blew their tits off. So much so the Old Guy has owned one for the past 5yrs   :P

thatguy

Quote from: Alain2 on February 21, 2020, 09:54:22 AM
Harley-Davidson actual buyers are getting older and riding less and less everyday.
Harley sold tons of bikes because they were bad ass to the eye of the buyers, but these badasses are now 55-75yo.

To survive the next decade, Harley has to offer a product appealing to the new and bigger generation, the younger millennials. Problem is, millennials do not value motorcycles that same way boomers and genX do.

I think the new line of Harley is targeting genX, waiting for the millennials to get older and have more free money to spend on useless things.

Millennials want technology, style and low price; I bet the 2020 Yamaha MT-03 will hit that target perfectly.

:twocents:

I'll pass that on at the dealer meeting this summer.   ::) 

We moved 5 bikes out the door on Friday. It's a tough market.......for everyone in this business. However bikes can be sold if your staff is up to the challenge. Everyone is waiting for things to return to the balloon times of the early 2000s. Nah that's going to be a long time if at all. Personally I think the current level is sustainable and boom times are too much to expect considering we're still recovering from that mess from 2007-9. No one will admit nor accept it though.

Shit I bought my first new Harley since 1986. First new motorcycle since 2004.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

m in sc

just a snapshot observation from yesterday

i rode up to the local honda/kaw/suzuki dealer in rock hill saturday to show the sales manager the 2t grom when i went up to buy a filter for the CB1100 ( i actually sold him an r5 like 6 years ago).  i let him ride it and he came back giggling like a little kid.
However,  they were wheeling bikes out of the showroom like they were giving them away for free while i was there.  Im not sure, but they seem to be kicking it pretty strong over there. always do.

side note, I live by the local harley dealer in rock hill, its super nice dealership (COX). I think there were 5 cars out front yesterday when i went by maybe 30 minutes later heading tot eh QT, while I barley had room to park at RockHill powersports.  :twocents:

thatguy

Like I said you have to be able to work a tough market. Is there a tougher market then West Virginia? Prob'ly but you'll have to search. The Japanese bikes aren't high dollar toys thus a different sell. Seems like everyone want to see me out of work via Harley's failure. However I don't see it happening any time soon.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Brit

Quote from: thatguy on February 23, 2020, 10:34:58 AM
Like I said you have to be able to work a tough market. Is there a tougher market then West Virginia? Prob'ly but you'll have to search. The Japanese bikes aren't high dollar toys thus a different sell. Seems like everyone want to see me out of work via Harley's failure. However I don't see it happening any time soon.
I for one wouldn't want to see you out of work and honestly can't see Harley being anywhere near as ignorant or stupid as the British motorcycle manufactures were back in the 70's. Yes the days of dealerships the size of a Holiday Inn maybe numbered but they're trying to move with modern market demands. It's a fact that their most loyal customer base is literally dying but at least they haven't stuck their head in the sand like ALL of the dozens of British manufacturers did when exactly the same thing happened to them. Harley have done a brilliant job at stretching it out across an extra generation or 2 but it's time for a radical rethink. Who would ever of thought Ducati would offer us anything more than 2 cylinders huh ?