News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Speedo Wires

Started by forexer, February 16, 2019, 11:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forexer

I purchased some new Yamaha RD400 Gauge Face Decals (Tach/Speedo) from Economy Cycle and was wondering whats the best way to remove these wires on the speedo?

Also are there any tips, tricks, or special tools you guys have used in the past to pry the lip up in order to remove the bezel?

Thanks

forexer

Ok , I answered my own question and I like when that happens. Speedo wires disconnect inside headlight bucket and bezel was removed by using a hook scribe and flat bladed screwdriver

forexer

on the back of the speedo there's a black plastic block where the wires go into - those 2 wires power a light bulb and that light is used to to illuminate the mileage counter.

the bulb for this light is extremely small and pretty much impossible to find. I've tried different stereo repair shops, the yamaha dealer, ebay  and auto parts stores all with no luck.

You guys got any suggestions where I can find a replacement bulb this size?

Thanks!

bitzz

i don't think that's a light bulb. That's a level switch for the turn signal cancel.

forexer

OK - I think you're right Bittz - didn't quite look like a light bulb to me and when I applied power to it and it didn't light up and had no continuity so I assumed it was a burnt out bulb.

Glad I asked the question - thanks for the answer and lesson 

bitzz

Look at the wiring diagram. It is connected to the flasher cancelling unit.

m in sc

its a pickup to trip the coil in the switch to turn the signals off . you may have fried it applying voltage, not 100% sure.