News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

If you were buying expansion chambers today,..What brand would you buy?

Started by suey1958, December 10, 2019, 07:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suey1958

I would agree with Teazer that the best looking pipes are the JL'$   :righteous:    (imo they would look better if they weren't quite as long though)

paul1478

76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Seizer

Me too. Shortened them up with some JL shorty carbon cans.

https://youtu.be/Zn_s0zsAbck

And with original cans

https://youtu.be/7EgLLC-FtqQ

pdxjim

Sounds great Chris!

I do agree the JL's sound fantastic when new.  Keep in mind tho, after a few hundred miles the zingy sound deadens quite a bit as the insides and silencers get coated with oil and carbon.  I got these for my TDR almost 15 years ago, and are hanging up in the garage currently as I've got other pipes on now.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Seizer

I bet those TDRs are so much fun. I've ridden cafe/sportbikes the majority of my life. This year I bought a Tuono and the upright riding position really makes it enjoyable. Now considering some drag bars on the RD too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suey1958

Seizer

quocle603

It really depends on what you're looking for...I went to HVC cycle chambers because someone was selling them for 400 dollars shipped. I had them on and rode around a lot on the freeway, which was fine but when I moved back into the city, it was a different story. I ended up switching back to stock pipes and it was better on the low and mid range for me.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

GRA2STROKES

Thanks for the good words jim about the pipes. I have used all the pipes mentioned above and they all have the same issue with the kickstand fortunately for me I can my own pipes and have total control over what's going on with them. For me and what I want to offer is a modified kickstand not really a relocation kit. My plan is to move the spring to the front side bs the rear and to cut the kick stand only keeping the very top and the foot. From there use a straight tube vs a bent rod that was designed to tuck under a stock pipe. You should end up with the same angle and length at the end of the day. A lot of people have just simply bent the kickstand to clear which causes the bike to lean over a ridiculous amount. 

I've ran Jim Loomas back to back with fpp and couldn't tell a difference other than they look very nice but are spendy. I've ran spec 2 classics his latest design for them to my pipes prior to owning them and hands down they way out performed spec 2 pipes. The first set of pipes I have built is going on a customer bike and my dad will be riding it to do the tuning. He has never ridden or used the pipes so I will report back with his input.

Garrett

You can check out my section for pics and what not.

Dvsrd

Anyone have an idea what a pair of Spec 2 classics cost these days? Mild steel raw/uncoated.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

thatguy

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

SUPERTUNE

Very close to $840 shipped to FL.
More for oversea's I would think.
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Striker1423

Quote from: SUPERTUNE on April 04, 2020, 10:38:24 PM
Very close to $840 shipped to FL.
More for oversea's I would think.

I talked to him last summer. He said to MI it would be around $750. So perhaps the cost went up a bit.

teazer

Side stands are an issue alright.