News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Wiring Harnesses - Input needed

Started by Economy Cycle John, December 16, 2019, 02:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economy Cycle John

Hi Guys, we've sold the reproduction harnesses for the RD's and RZ's for a few years now and they've worked out great. So I'm thinking of doing harnesses for other bikes. The question is which ones? and not limited to RD's and 2 strokes.
www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

paul1478

H1-H2? do you have them already? I seen on there form issues with wiring.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Economy Cycle John

Quote from: paul1478 on December 16, 2019, 02:58:00 PM
H1-H2? do you have them already? I seen on there form issues with wiring.

we only have the ones for the RD/RZ's at the moment, looking for suggestions for others. If there's a need for H1/H2's I'd do them but don't want to if some other small vendor is doing it well, but if what's out there isn't working I would.

Organicjedi

Just a thought- how about modified plug and play RD harnesses for Vape ignitions? (not sure if anything really needs to be done to the main harness for this. If so, could be a nice add on for people installing one.)

Or maybe minimal harnesses for racing or guys that run it on the road but don't want a rats nest behind the headlight? Maybe you could work with Chuck and manufacture his coil relay mod for RD400s (With Chuck's permission of course.)

Or put it together and make a minimal harness with the coil relay mod built in. So it's essentially an updated RD wiring harness.   

m in sc

this is a good idea for sure, and sell the relay with the kit.  :twocents: also add an H4 socket for the headlight.  an 'rd special' series would be great benefit for those that want to run mods but hate wiring

other bikes? dunno a lot is already out there for the kzs and larger triples, the other markets are kinda small. Guess it depends what you get the most requests for that you don't offer. 

mavguy

Quote from: m in sc on December 17, 2019, 02:12:06 PM
this is a good idea for sure, and sell the relay with the kit.  :twocents: also add an H4 socket for the headlight.  an 'rd special' series would be great benefit for those that want to run mods but hate wiring

other bikes? dunno a lot is already out there for the kzs and larger triples, the other markets are kinda small. Guess it depends what you get the most requests for that you don't offer.

Yes but if cheaper and better quality wires can be made then why not.....both 2S and 4S....everyone should chip in.

Economy Cycle John

it has to be viable from a business perspective, so initial run of 100 minimum and then some ongoing sales. 

There isn't a whole lot that changes on the main harness with the MZB, other than running the ign/kill to the new relay and coils. The generator stuff all gets ripped out and replaced. But it could use an RD specific installation kit with the wiring and coil / relay mount, newt switch, etc. more of a loose ends kit than a harness. And that's really small volume and a lot of guys want to do their own thing. so maybe.

Anyone have a read on old beemers? If there's any other vintage bikes I get called on besides the 2T's, it's AC beemers, but I don't know that world at all.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated

m in sc

old /5/6's etc wopuld be a good option.

heres my thing ont he modded harness. if its plug and play ready to go, its all fresh. I think its viable for an rd/r5 with a cdi. Its shocking how many people are just terrified of wiring, and those that cant do it right, or both. just my .02

Kawtriplefreak

Yep I hate it and I am marginal at best in electrical troubleshooting and wiring.

Ws76133

Re: Old Beemers, I've got an '84 R100RS that I'm either gonna have to splice in new stuff around the engine where the insulation has badly hardened or replace the whole harness.  I haven't researched to see what's out there already, though, but i love options...

1976RD400C

Back when I was in high school they offered Electricity I and II that I took. We did all sorts of stuff like practicing different types of soldering joints with lead solder and making our own circuit boards by etching with acid. Then there was metal shop with the blast furnace for melting aluminum and casting. I don't think high school offers classes like that any more.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

DesmoDrew

motulman

we need a us spec daytona harness, you would be gods gift if you did this, since NO ONE makes one. and i think i can speak for all the daytona guys out there  lol