Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

New bike

Started by thatguy, January 26, 2020, 12:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatguy

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

suey1958

I have an older version...

85RZwade

Only two-stroke Harleys in our barn, a 90 and a 125. Can't wait to source parts for them when their turn comes around...
Wade
I post waayyy too much

Kawtriplefreak

RDryan

Pretty bikes. It's funny I never check out the four stroke section of this forum. Been seeing a lot of great deals on used Harley's on my local craigslist.

m in sc

they are the BEST value for the money used if you are looking for a cruiser, thats for damn sure.

thatguy

As the mileage climbs it's loosening up well. The suspension is far better than anything they've installed in the past. It was very harsh on the small stuff however that is changing. The engine is a great lump,very flexible and well suited to the job it was designed for. Very pleased with it so far.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

thatguy

Approaching 10K miles. Finally found a seat that works. It took 4 tries for that. Harley's seats are just too damn soft. Switched over to Mobil1 15w50 at 5K service from Harley Syn3. Rear tire lasted 8600 miles before I decided it was done. I replace tires early unlike many others. The damn thing weighs 800 pounds and fixing a flat roadside just isn't something I feel like doing.

RDryan

Your bike is looking good.  8) I'm jealous you have put over 10k miles on your new bike, I think I maybe working too much. LOL. Good on you to be observant of your back tire replacements, so what if it maybe too soon for some. After 8600 miles it's possible that a tire may not even have the same handling qualities as they do tend to change shape with wear, just my opinion.

thatguy

That is one thing that impressed me. The profile doesn't get that squared off feeling as it ages. It flat spots the most used section but the original profile mimics that somewhat. It's a big fat meaty thing too.

RDryan

Hmmm, interesting to hear that but my experience is limited to mostly michelin pilot powers and dunlop sport max's on the back of my old zx10r as well as my currently owned gsxr1000. Those tires are lucky to see much more than 5k miles without being squared and a two inch section in the middle, yeah squared and worn down to the wear bars. Well those are sport bikes with grippy rubber and now chucked out for the Continental Conti motion which I am liking but don't have enough miles on to judge long term wear and how it affects handling.

Anyway what do you think of tire plugs and CO2 cartridges? Seems like these kits are good enough to make it home but I guess it really depends on the variables such as getting a flat at night or during the day or a piece of metal/glass making an irregular piercing vs. a nail. I once got a nail in my tire and found it mid ride home. What a treat riding about 30 miles back home and knowing it's there but not dare to take it out. Lucky it was the back tire. Yeah I guess I was bit  :busey:

thatguy

13K miles so far so good. Loosening up well. Fuel mileage in the mid-upper 40's.

thatguy

Will cross 20K miles tomorrow. Replaced the rear wheel bearings yesterday. Found them crunchy when replacing tire. 11K from that tire. Found running a few PSI over recommended makes a big difference. Disappointing that I'll be considering bearings part of 20K services now.    :taz:     

Other than that no issues and saw 50.19 MPG a couple tanks ago. There is value in keeping it stock.

thatguy

It's a year old and 25K miles. And due to current situation I didn't actually go anywhere. Just commuting to work and a few joyrides.

rodneya

Quote from: thatguy on September 20, 2020, 10:42:03 AM
Will cross 20K miles tomorrow. Replaced the rear wheel bearings yesterday. Found them crunchy when replacing tire. 11K from that tire. Found running a few PSI over recommended makes a big difference. Disappointing that I'll be considering bearings part of 20K services now.    :taz:     

Other than that no issues and saw 50.19 MPG a couple tanks ago. There is value in keeping it stock.

Brand new bearings often come with almost no grease.
Quite common for guys buying new dirt bikes to pull them apart and re grease everything