Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

New bike

Started by thatguy, January 26, 2020, 12:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

25,000 miles on a motorcycle in a year? That alone is quite a recommendation!
I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

That a lot of miles in a year. Impressive :clap: Congrats
I put twice as many miles on my bike last year (all pleasure miles) as all my cars combined but it's nowhere close to that.
Your MPG is nearly identical to my FZ6
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

thatguy

Been riding dirt bikes since 6" wheel travel was a big deal. They're sealed and one is an ABS tone ring bearing. I don't wanna mess with that and it's still a warranty item for awhile.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kawtriplefreak

50 MPG is great. My 95 FLHR gets 38 at 80 MPH on the interstate. I think the early ones got in the 40s stock. Mine has Andrews EV-27 camshaft as well. I hear ya on the seats. I don't know why but I am way more comfortable with the aftermarket Corbin solo seat than the plush two up factory model. Beautiful Bike. Mine is black and shows everything. If I ever paint it, it will be white.

m in sc

is there a heavier duty wheel bearing available? just curious.

DesmoDrew

On a big heavy bike like that 20K on a set of wheel bearings seems 'ok'.  I do agree that figuring out a way to add more/better grease to the replacements is a good idea. And torque the axle to factory spec.
    And not to hijak this thread, but just pure happenstance, I happen to be doing some work on my BMW Airhead wheels, and was seeking information on the wheel bearings.  Timken (the bearing mfg) lists the service life of the BMW wheel bearings as...........2.6 BILLION miles  :eek: when properly adjusted; and still over one billion miles when either too loose or too tight. How the hell do you test for that?????  :umm:  FWIW they are tapered roller bearings and run as a pre-adjusted 'stack' inside the hub, so axle nut torque has zero effect on bearing adjustment or tension.

thatguy

Yeah I wish they were tapered roller. And Mark the problem with better bearings is the tone ring for ABS in the right side bearing. Proprietary of course.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

m in sc

ah. of course. bummer

pidjones

Quote from: DesmoDrew on January 30, 2021, 07:43:56 AM
   On a big heavy bike like that 20K on a set of wheel bearings seems 'ok'.  I do agree that figuring out a way to add more/better grease to the replacements is a good idea. And torque the axle to factory spec.
    And not to hijak this thread, but just pure happenstance, I happen to be doing some work on my BMW Airhead wheels, and was seeking information on the wheel bearings.  Timken (the bearing mfg) lists the service life of the BMW wheel bearings as...........2.6 BILLION miles  :eek: when properly adjusted; and still over one billion miles when either too loose or too tight. How the hell do you test for that?????  :umm:  FWIW they are tapered roller bearings and run as a pre-adjusted 'stack' inside the hub, so axle nut torque has zero effect on bearing adjustment or tension.
I have over 120k miles on the original rear (in the drive hub) bearings on my '06 GL1800, and 80k (replaced when I had the wheels powder coated) on the front, and they are still silky smooth and tight. They are sealed bearings.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

DesmoDrew

Quote from: pidjones on February 08, 2021, 11:26:24 AM
I have over 120k miles on the original rear (in the drive hub) bearings on my '06 GL1800, and 80k (replaced when I had the wheels powder coated) on the front, and they are still silky smooth and tight. They are sealed bearings.

However your Wing and my BMW are both horses of a different color compared to the HD.  Most notably, they are shaft drive and will not be susceptible to minor rear axle alignment issues and varying side loads that a chain or belt drive system produces. Also, big twins (my 'maybe' 50hp BMW doesn't qualify) are notoriously hard on drive train parts.