This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Powerdynamo regulator/rectifier

Started by Blue400, March 28, 2020, 02:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue400

Quote from: m in sc on March 30, 2020, 07:42:48 AM
yeah, you need to unplug the blue wire from the coil to the relay if its there.

yup. my battery was 8 yrs old. then pow.

and yes, the new regulator works with the older units.
I did that, it has spark, im Happy about that! What is a good battery to get, and is economy cycle open?

m in sc

Chuck likes an agm he has listed in some of his posts. me? i  have had good luck with alarm batteries from home depot. replace very 5 yrs. 

Blue400

I have an alarm battery in it now, it's been good but not a bad idea to replace it.

Thank you for all your help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Striker1423

Blue400

I believe the battery i have now is very similar to that one, i had bought it at Radio Shack. Kind of a bummer those closed up.

My key switch is original on the bike, should i replace that as well? Did anyone re pop them?

m in sc

yup, same battery. cant answer on the switch.

Blue400

Quote from: m in sc on March 30, 2020, 12:58:46 PM
yup, same battery. cant answer on the switch.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/electrical-ignitions-lighting/ignition/mzb-regulator-with-built-in-capacitor/

This is the part i need, correct? It looks identical to what i have, and it says with that you can run the bike without a battery, have you ever went this route Mark?

m in sc

thats what you need.

you can, i did when i first got it way back, but also had a capacitor (which is now IN the regulator). However, since i run a zeeltronic controller now, i started running a battery as it needs power to fire up. Some say it doesnt, but i dont want to kick it over forever to start.  If you arent running one of those, no battery is needed.  :toot:

Blue400

Quote from: m in sc on April 01, 2020, 11:15:18 AM
thats what you need.

you can, i did when i first got it way back, but also had a capacitor (which is now IN the regulator). However, since i run a zeeltronic controller now, i started running a battery as it needs power to fire up. Some say it doesnt, but i dont want to kick it over forever to start.  If you arent running one of those, no battery is needed.  :toot:

I run a zeeltronic controller as well, and what a difference that makes! I will buy a new battery too. Thanks again for all the help!

Dvsrd

Quote from: Blue400 on April 01, 2020, 12:04:45 PM
Quote from: m in sc on April 01, 2020, 11:15:18 AM
thats what you need.

I run a zeeltronic controller as well, and what a difference that makes! I will buy a new battery too. Thanks again for all the help!

What are the main advantages of a variable ignition curve, in your opinion? Is your engine stock or modified? If modified, what has been done?

m in sc

any 2 stroke will benefit from a curve. advancing it down low with a taper down up high is the key.

down low: increases power/torque, especially when dynamic compression is low
up high, when dynamic compression gets higher and the gasses really flow, having it retard a bot keeps the motor cooler, avoids detonation.

also, a zeeltronic has a programmable rev limiter.

on my S2, i had -zero- porting , jims denco chambers and a set of s3 carbs. no head cutting, nothing, internally motor was stock, laid down 59 rwhp with a zeeltronic and an h1 cdi modified to fit, curve was almost a 45 degree straight line.  :twocents: its worth it , especially on calming down 'peaky' motors.

Striker1423

Mark, Economy sells a zeeltronic already set up for the street, I'm curious how careful you would have to be to tune it further? I would think a dyno would be necessary or no?

It sounds like a great addition to what I've got already. Cause this motor runs pretty warm.

m in sc

beats me. I have no direct experience with preprogrammed zeel boxes, but i know with a well sorted motor, you don't need to swing the curve too far. Id imagine its pretty good. the HPI has a curve, seems to work well with my ported motor and flatslide 34's :twocents:

Economy Cycle John

The zeeltronic controller we sell for the AC bikes comes with the original later Euro RD400 CDI curve. It's a mild curve.
www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag