News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

HPI Install RD

Started by SUPERTUNE, October 28, 2019, 08:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnboy

Yeah the plan is to run without a battery. Thanks for verifying the connections Mark. I feel much better moving forward with this now. Basically want to run head light, tail light and brake light connected to both the front master cylinder switch and the rear brake switch and kill switch. 

Czakky

I'll add another thing I've found with running no battery.

I was blowing brake lights pretty quick and unable to find a short (fresh wiring mostly) I found that the Trail Tech reg was putting out atleast 18.5v A/C on my digital meter. Could be more as digital meters don't react as fast as analog meters in this situation. Anyway the Trail Tech reg is adjustable and I turned it down to 14v max. It doesn't seem to effect low RPM voltage output (where it matters) and I don't ride this bike in the dark very often.
My theory as to why the brake light would blow and nothing else is that under a high RPM stop there is a sudden inrush of voltage, too much for the diodes to deal with being having not seen any juice for a while.... feel free to shoot holes in my theory as I'm ok with electricity but have no experience with LEDs.

m in sc

Quote from: Czakky on June 20, 2020, 11:30:31 AM
I'll add another thing I've found with running no battery.

I was blowing brake lights pretty quick and unable to find a short (fresh wiring mostly) I found that the Trail Tech reg was putting out atleast 18.5v A/C on my digital meter. Could be more as digital meters don't react as fast as analog meters in this situation. Anyway the Trail Tech reg is adjustable and I turned it down to 14v max. It doesn't seem to effect low RPM voltage output (where it matters) and I don't ride this bike in the dark very often.
My theory as to why the brake light would blow and nothing else is that under a high RPM stop there is a sudden inrush of voltage, too much for the diodes to deal with being having not seen any juice for a while.... feel free to shoot holes in my theory as I'm ok with electricity but have no experience with LEDs.

def makes sense. they tend to take being under supplied better than being over supplied with voltage.

quocle603

:clap:Just wanted to say thank you for everyone with their input on this matter. Super helpful with my installation of the ignition and the lighting situation. :clap:
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

quocle603

QuoteAll I think you have to do is un-ground the charge coil lead on the backside of the stator and connect a new wire lead to run up with the rest of the wires and use it a for a 2nd input lead at the rec/reg so you now have 2 ac wave leads instead of 1 like I did on Mikes setup.

If you see in this pic 2 leads off the rec/reg are tied together as a purple and a yellow then connected to the single yellow lead the HPI came with.
Now that you just ran a 2nd lead, now unsplit the tied in purple wire and connect to the new lead you just made and now you have 2 ac leads into the rec/reg. Simple I think...
DC diagram on the left is the one your looking at.
Chuck

I was having some charging issues when I was riding yesterday. Figured out that i was only pumping out 2v DC at idle and 6v DC max. I am only running one AC wire (yellow) that is split into two wires to a rect/regulator. I am trying to find the other winding of the coil as stated in the quote and only can find out with is attached to a black wire with a piece of silver wire and some solder on it. I am not sure if it is the correct wire. It looks like it is already attached to the wiring harness via the black wire.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

quocle603

Figured out my charging issue. Decided to get the ATV 150cc full wave R/R to fix my issue (thanks for that tip). I thought I had a full wave one but apparently it was a half wave one...it was only pumping 6 volts. I even tried the route of going from AC to DC with put prong rectifier, then jumping to my trail tech regulator but it would not down my volts and would just blow up my fuses. Not sure what happened but the bike will charge my battery and allow me to run my relay, DC accessories, and not blow up my bulbs! :)