Main Menu

Show me your side kickstand rd400

Started by rd400greenhorn, May 11, 2020, 10:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400greenhorn

Hi guys
Yeah so i got a sidekickstand and the Kit from hvccycle

Still.. Dont seem to work at all.

Anyone out there with a solid solution to a side kickstand?

My bike has Jim lomas race pipes on it

m in sc

I made my own, i felt all aftermarket solutions sucked.  :twocents:

Dvsrd

Some make their own stands to work with expansion chambers, others move the bracket and re-use the stock stand. Obviously, both alternatives require welding, and in some cases heating and bending.

IR8D8R

I know Ian (2 Stroke Jamoke) moved his forward on his 400.

Seems like that worked pretty well.

Maybe we can get him to post a pic? Ian you out there?

I have the same problem on my 350 with FPP's. Some PO broke the mount off and welded it back a little crooked which makes it worse.

Pretty soon the problem will take care of itself. The foot is about half gone already. It is unnerving dragging things on a hard lean.

IR8D8R

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on May 11, 2020, 10:25:18 AM
I made my own, i felt all aftermarket solutions sucked.  :twocents:
Structural tubing is sort of hard to get hold of where I live, would  something like 22x1.50 mm hydraulic tubing work? 316L or St.52?

m in sc

i just used seamed 3/4" tubing, nothing special. (not dom or 4130).

304 would be fine, just make sure it has a decent wall thickness. or 12L14 or something.

I used 4130 for the kick-starter, that might be what your thinking of. BUT, moving the mount forward and angling it out  a bit is the easiest IMHO. that relocation kit is a fucking sloppy joke.

bitzz

I cut the "knuckle" off the frame and just re-located it so the stand swings more parallel to the bottom frame tube.

Kick start is off a Suzuki dirt bike that clears my custom non folding rearsets.

I could post pics if you wanted....

m in sc

^ this. move the bracket. welding is required.

i just bent the tubing on a tubing bender. no heat. nothing special. all done with a mig.

paul1478

I said it before and will say it again Mark, that is the best solution I have ever seen for a kickstand. even with the relocation kit my kickstand drags on the ground also.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

m in sc

thank you.

it was so easy too. i mean, i can not for the lif of me figure out why somebody doesnt make these and sell them. (no, im not doing it).

RDFL

I assume also doesn't lean over at 78 degrees when on stand, after moving bracket too.

oxford

Quote from: rd400greenhorn on May 11, 2020, 10:20:44 AM
Hi guys
Yeah so i got a sidekickstand and the Kit from hvccycle

Still.. Dont seem to work at all.

Anyone out there with a solid solution to a side kickstand?

My bike has Jim lomas race pipes on it

What issues are you having?  I just put one on a 350 with JL pipes and took some work on the frame lug to get the bracket to sit right.  You then have to take some material off the bracket to get the stand to tuck up to where you want.

I still haven't got it off the stand to see how it sits on the ground with it though.

That said, the bracket is a little goofy and I think the better options are a custom stand or cut and reweld the lug.

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on May 11, 2020, 05:30:06 PM
thank you.

it was so easy too. i mean, i can not for the lif of me figure out why somebody doesnt make these and sell them. (no, im not doing it).

rodneya

I moved the bracket forward on my 350. I modified the pipes to fit really tight underneath so the old bracket had to go. Stand tucks up nicely with a bit of reshaping, but it leans over a bit more when parked.

rd400greenhorn

Yeah so
Cutting bracket and welding on the frame is a no go😁
Its been powdercoated

So looking for a solution that works with the stock location on the frame 😁