Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

79 Daytona basket

Started by bigdavet, May 14, 2020, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdavet

me again.

At the risk of truly blowing my wife's mind, and not in a good way, I am considering buying a basket case 79 Daytona. All it needs (he says) are carbs. Gas tank is a little gnarly, the rest looks restorable for sure. I'm just about to get my 78 E running, and another project would be cool. Ive never ridden a Daytona, but heard mostly nothing but good. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

bigdavet  :patriot:
1978 RD400 in progress
2007 BMW R1200RT

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

economan

This would be the wrong place to find someone advising you against your 2 stroke addiction dreams.  :whistle:
Go for it.   :celebrate:    " Better to ask for  forgiveness than to beg for permission."  ;D
The Daytona's are a bit more work getting right than the prior 400's.

mnein

Yeah preaching to the choir. I realize the Daytonas are harder to restore, but I've always liked them especially for their uniqueness. Several college friends had them back in the day.

economan

10-4 on that. 1 year only and very Kool looking. Finding stock or aftermarket parts , reasonable or not is tough. Then there is that emission engine, brakes, crank, etc. Paul has a really nice one  :clap:

SoCal250

Do it!
You've already been given a jump start on the project if the 2V0 carbs are missing. Throw some 1A1 carbs on with a Y-boot and you've already improved one of the Daytona deficiencies.
Post pics
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Joshua

I've got a set of daytona carbs if you want to keep it original. Looks like you have no excuses.

zedixe13

Don't take a chance , buy it !

bigdavet

Meh

He is way too proud of his basket case
I passed
Thanks for all the input

bigdavet  :patriot:
1978 RD400 in progress
2007 BMW R1200RT

Plasticman

You should purchase an RD400 example representing each year of their production.  That's what I did.  One of them I modified with colors she liked, so "it's hers".  She picked out the colors, I had the decals made in those colors, painted the tank.  She picked out the wheel color and went with me to have them powder coated and talked to the shop about her color choice. Total buy-in on the project.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)