Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Yamaha aluminum finish

Started by rodneya, June 23, 2020, 08:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

What did Yamaha use on the fork tubes and other aluminum parts like the brake plate on RD350's. Is it a clear anodizing or clear coat?

RattlecanResto

Organicjedi

motodreams

I third that!  Often has yellowed over the years. Acetone will take it off.

Hawaii-Mike

I have tried clear powder coat and several other clear coats without long lasting results.  Now I think the best treatment is polishing and a coat of penetrating oil to keep the corrosion away.  Corrosion X is a great product.

rodneya

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on June 26, 2020, 05:03:13 PM
I have tried clear powder coat and several other clear coats without long lasting results.  Now I think the best treatment is polishing and a coat of penetrating oil to keep the corrosion away.  Corrosion X is a great product.

Clear coat is made to go over paint, so you need to take a few extra steps to get clear coat to work with bare aluminum.
I first clean with POR15 cleaner de-greaser, then POR15 metal prep. This helps adhesion by light etching and leaving a zinc phosphate coating. Then POR-15 40020 AP-120 Metal Prep which also helps adhesion.
Then you can clear coat. I have used the POR15 2k clear with good results, but it is quite difficult to spray without getting runs. I think it is because it is made to be brushed on without getting brush marks, but it is probably operator error.
I picked up some regular 2k clear, so I will give that a try.

My tank was clear coated back in 73 or 74 and apart from some scratches and dents it still looked pretty good with no peeling, so it can be done.