News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Ever second guess your build?

Started by Joshua, June 28, 2020, 02:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

I'm getting to the end of my build, rd400, I keep second guessing things I can't change at this point. Still happy, but next one. . . Lol.

Czakky

I'm always in a rush, which means most of my regrets are due to the fact that I didn't slow down and get what u really should've done...
Between time, money and parts availability you're bound to end a bit short of your expectations.

Jspooner

When I built my TZ replica I bought and re-bought almost every part on it 2 or even 3 times until I got what I wanted. I also built many parts,  just took my time and had many fitting and mock up sessions until the part was exactly what I wanted. With enough patience you will eventually get what you want. I did the same thing with my RD build that I just sold.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Joshua

I have a feeling I'm going to chop the tail off again. . .  It for now I want to get it running. That or build another seat-tail section. Then swap out as I feel the need.  It for now I gotta get this stupid tank painted so I can get up to chucks.

Nice build, jspooner,by the way. Really liked your build.

rodneya

Thats why I did not powder coat my frame.

Jspooner

Quote from: rodneya on June 28, 2020, 09:22:20 PM
Thats why I did not powder coat my frame.

I rattle canned mine and rode it for a summer before I decided I liked it. Once I decided I went to the powder coater and found a color that was close enough and went with it and that is what you see in the posted pic.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

to the op: you can always change things. However cost, time, knowledge or ability may limit what you get vs what you want right now.

I've gone though six iterations of my hybrid overall, and started it back in 04 as a pile of parts.  And what you want may change after you tried version 1, or 2. etc. 

That's the nature of a project. The hardest thing to overcome, i think, is being impatient. I've learned as i have gotten older, this typically gets easier. Also, having a push button bike that's NOT a project helps tremendously.

Back in my youth with limited money/time/ability and overall knowledge, i would get impatient and had to daily my projects. (mostly cars). It can be very damaging to motivation on these things. Of course, that's a bit further from this but related.

And yes.. having a second project after one to do 'what you didn't do' on the 1st one is fun as well. ;)

the lightweight i have is basically V2 of a bike i did back 12? years ago or so. I always wanted to revisit that project.