Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Mystery doohicky

Started by NYSingh, July 21, 2020, 07:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSingh

Anyone know what this grey thingy on the bottom of the triple tree is? Thinking it might be a steering damper but haven't seen one like that before.  Funny how years after owning this bike I've never noticed it before.
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

Jspooner

That's exactly what it is.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

NYSingh

That was easy :)  Hmm..so looks like it was stock on RD350s but they ditched it for the RD400? Wonder why. How do these dampers compare with the arm-style ones you see nowadays?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

Striker1423

Quote from: NYSingh on July 21, 2020, 09:32:24 PM
That was easy :)  Hmm..so looks like it was stock on RD350s but they ditched it for the RD400? Wonder why. How do these dampers compare with the arm-style ones you see nowadays?

That damper moves fairly easily. It is oil filled I do believe. The arm ones are more modern has shocks.

m in sc

its a paddle in there, with a drilled orifice, that the oil passes through. and yes, its serviceable.

theres a few issues.

1: the rate is? anyone guess. you can play with oil thickness to get it where you want.

2: the 2 tangs on the damper body that go tot the tang on the frame get loose. you can shim this, or as i once did, drill and tap a setscrew.

do they work? yes. is a linear adjustable one better? yes.

not sure why the 400s didn't use them. maybe the longer swingarm ?

they are serviceable. you can split them, clean, and refill. thats what the 2 screws at the top are for. ;)

RDryan

Ha,ha. Good question I asked myself then forgot about. It's on the RD250 as well. Not that it needs it.  :whistle: