Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Hydraulic clutch conversion

Started by Striker1423, July 23, 2020, 12:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

A user on the aircooledrd forum used a Magura Hymec. Claims they have one made for a 70's XS. So, I'm going to shoot them an email and see how it works or what one I'd need. In any case, it is a completely reversible setup.

https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=61361.0

m in sc

i talked to the guys at magura at barber back in 16 about this. I got divorced like 2 mos later so i may or may not still have the business card, (things get lost in moves, business cards, irrational emotional outbursts, etc) but they were more than willing to do a whole unit, they said it would be in the ~200 range for an rd. Engineer looked at my LC, but since it has aircooled cases its applicable.  :twocents: they MAY remember me. Guy i talked to was originally from Israel i think? Ben? Not a young guy but not ancient either. 

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on August 04, 2020, 10:22:22 AM
i talked to the guys at magura at barber back in 16 about this. I got divorced like 2 mos later so i may or may not still have the business card, (things get lost in moves, business cards, irrational emotional outbursts, etc) but they were more than willing to do a whole unit, they said it would be in the ~200 range for an rd. Engineer looked at my LC, but since it has aircooled cases its applicable.  :twocents: they MAY remember me. Guy i talked to was originally from Israel i think? Ben? Not a young guy but not ancient either.

Oh very interesting.

m in sc

yeah. basically they had the parts to do it, but needed to use a longer rod out of the cyl to reach the arm on the stock actuator, is really what it boiled down to.  I'll dig in my desk at home see if i have the card, i think he even drafted up a part number. But, that was 4 years ago so. :whistle:

retaRD

Mark,
I remember talking to you about the Magura setup.  I spoke to the same guys, however I believe the engineer I spoke to no longer works for them.
My friend has the Magura kit installed on his RD, it was a "prototype" kit they developed for RD's (presumably from the dimensions you supplied at the time, and tested on his bike?)
I will get in contact with him, see what info he has/who to contact.
Their assemblies are modular, they put combinations of different pistons and actuator rods together to build systems. I was skeptical at first but after we installed it I was impressed.  Clutch feel is great, and adjustment is automatic. 
I would run one.

Actually, I think I still have the catalog from the dealer show in Kentucky...

m in sc

sweet. id like to see that, might go that way on another project.  :toot:

Dvsrd

Quote from: Striker1423 on August 04, 2020, 10:04:10 AM
A user on the aircooledrd forum used a Magura Hymec. Claims they have one made for a 70's XS. So, I'm going to shoot them an email and see how it works or what one I'd need. In any case, it is a completely reversible setup.

https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=61361.0

With that setup, you still keep the oem actuator arm/ worm screw setup. The mod M in SC show eliminates those parts as well. Which I think is a better solution.  :twocents:

retaRD

Here's some pics from my 2019 Magura catalog.

sav0r

We did this with our GT750 using an AP set. Worked out well, of course that car is a bit more of a problem. I looked at doing this for my RD, I even have a nice radial master that I was going to use. It seems like a lot of work and expense for not much gain. The clutch action even with stiff springs is pretty light, sure it's a spot grabby, but that's probably just that sloppy 46 year old lever and grody cable at work.

Machining that bracket for the direct push slave rather than pull type wouldn't be hard, but getting that contour really nice might take a try or two. It looks like it could be done in with simple A/B setup, so once setup cooking them out would be a breeze.

There are numerous of the pull type units on eBay. Cable length might be an issue, but it would be an easier adaptation than machining the bracket. At least that would be my assumption, but who really knows?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Clutch-Slave-Cylinder-Pull-Rod-Hose-Mororcycle-Dirt-Pit-Bike-ATV-Quad/232429678876?hash=item361de3711c:g:pmwAAOSwKwVaVxij

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Refit-Hydraulic-Clutch-Slave-Cylinder-Pull-Rod-For-Mororcycle-Dirt-Pit-Bike-ATV/111969628498?hash=item1a11e8f152:g:wb4AAOSwjyZeT0Ek
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

tbh, i had the hyd clutch off for about 5 years. is the quality of life better with it? not particularly, but i dont ever have to adjust it.  so, theres that.  :twocents:

85RZwade

Juice clutch on my KTM has been trouble-free for 21 years now (man, all my stuff is old!). I think I've changed the oil three times. No cable to lube or adjust and it just plain works.
I post waayyy too much

Gil Gallad

i've fitted 2 of these on the gt250 and gt350 engines. my mate has one fitted to his suzuki gt550 and they work perfectly. they just screw in where the clutch cable adjuster goes. you'll end up shortening the actuator rod, but that's easy. not knowing anything about yam engines, i don't know if your clutch adjuster is the same as mine [m8] these are as cheap as chips, so if it ever goes wrong, like the seal failing, just throw another one on it  ;D
cheers, gil.
p.s. i changed this one to one of the black ones - they worked better. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Hydraulic-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Rod-Brake-Pump-M10x1-25mm-Alumin-M2L/233627839141?epid=2145095047&hash=item36654deaa5:g:7OMAAOSwk-Ne8f85

Striker1423

Quote from: Gil Gallad on August 06, 2020, 09:03:04 AM
i've fitted 2 of these on the gt250 and gt350 engines. my mate has one fitted to his suzuki gt550 and they work perfectly. they just screw in where the clutch cable adjuster goes. you'll end up shortening the actuator rod, but that's easy. not knowing anything about yam engines, i don't know if your clutch adjuster is the same as mine [m8] these are as cheap as chips, so if it ever goes wrong, like the seal failing, just throw another one on it  ;D
cheers, gil.
p.s. i changed this one to one of the black ones - they worked better. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Hydraulic-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Rod-Brake-Pump-M10x1-25mm-Alumin-M2L/233627839141?epid=2145095047&hash=item36654deaa5:g:7OMAAOSwk-Ne8f85

The RD motors have a simple block the clutch cable sits in. No threads to be found on it.

m in sc

you can run an m8 tap thru it. perfect hole size. I do this when i run 1st gen ninja 250 clutch cables (which are perfect for low bars and clipons  :toot: )

beauty of that is, if you ever go back to stock, doesn't affect 'performance' of the block.  :wave:

Gil Gallad

personally i looked at the magura kit, and the price and thought bollox to that, there must be something cheaper out there. then i found the ones above. my first thought was they were so cheap they must be crap. wrong. and the hydraulic clutch levers look like the reservoir would be too small. wrong. it all works perfectly. as i said, a good mate fitted the same set-up to his 550 and he's well pleased with it. at about £25 all in it's a steal  ;D
cheers, gil.