Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Yamaha Dual Piston Brake Calipers - Vintage

Started by Diablo007, August 17, 2020, 07:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diablo007

Are there difference in the old Yamaha dual piston brake calipers such as the ones found on the RD350.  I found an old milk crate with old brake parts in it.

I started taking them apart to see what shape they were in and noticed that the only real differences I could see were in the casting numbers.  They seemed to have similar casting numbers, until I got to the 3rd caliper.  I've attached pictures of the sets of caliper bodies.

Is it OK to mix and match parts?  Should the caliper that appears to be from different castings be suspect?
2 stroke junkie:
Too many motorcycles to list.  The highlights:
1973 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer project; 1983 Suzuki RG250 YammaGamma project; 1988 Yamaha YSR50/80 project; 1984 Yamaha RZ350; 1984 Yamaha RZ500

bitzz

The RD400 rear was different where the brake line attaches

pidjones

Quote from: bitzz on August 17, 2020, 08:31:54 PM
The RD400 rear was different where the brake line attaches
Is the difference just the interior flare mating for the front? That can be removed.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

teazer

You could mix and match any of those parts, but think about getting a new aluminum caliper from John at Economy and save a bunch of weight.  His replica calipers look just like OEM but are much lighter and are brand spanking new.

Economy Cycle John

Thank Teazer.

The RD400 rears have a cut out for the disk carrier and no flange fitting. All the fronts were the same, except 1978 they eliminated the recess for the decal (and rear in 78 also). If you put a front caliper on the rear of the 400 the carrier will contact the caliper body and jam. Otherwise they're functionally the same.
www.EconomyCycle.com - RD/RZ Parts, Services, Tools, Accessories & Swag

Dvsrd

Quote from: teazer on August 18, 2020, 12:03:34 PM
You could mix and match any of those parts, but think about getting a new aluminum caliper from John at Economy and save a bunch of weight.  His replica calipers look just like OEM but are much lighter and are brand spanking new.
I agree. I have one on my RD350. Works Great with a 13 mm Brembo MC. (Oem mc is way too big, more suitable for a dual setup)

Diablo007

There are some calipers that are different where the hard line connects.  I'm guessing these are the RD400 calipers mentioned.

Any tips for getting stubborn hard lines removed?  My line wrench is too fat to get all the way over the nut, same with my thinnest box wrench.
2 stroke junkie:
Too many motorcycles to list.  The highlights:
1973 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer project; 1983 Suzuki RG250 YammaGamma project; 1988 Yamaha YSR50/80 project; 1984 Yamaha RZ350; 1984 Yamaha RZ500

bitzz