This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Electric

Started by RDFL, August 22, 2020, 08:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDFL

RDryan

That bike certainly has some creative styling,one of kind. Upon which it's entertaining to read some of the viewer's comments. I have to say I have been giving electric motorcycles some thought and try to open my mind to them. One thing that I will say in frustration/critical view is they don't have any tranny to shift. you just twist the throttle and go. I can get past that they are silent but I have to say what I like about a more conventional motorcycle is it's mechanical nature and a big part of that is shifting. To me shifting is an art whether on two wheels or even four. I guess I wonder if it's possible to make an electric motorcycle shift?

rodneya

$70K for a bike that will only do 75Mph with a range of 55 miles if you are hammering it.
They are going to have to do a lot better than that.

IR8D8R

$70 thousand dollars? It better turn into a friggin' robot for that much.

Besides that it's ugly and slow. It better be quick like 2 second 0-60... They didn't give that stat but it is where electric shows up.

Much rather buy 7 nice vintage bikes with my money. Or a couple reeeally nice ones.

Those wheels are horrible.

IR8D8R

m in sc

maybe its the even uglier girl to make the livewire more attractive?  :dawg:

quocle603

think of all the RZ, H1, H2, GT, and other smokers I can own with that sort of money.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

85RZwade

I read about electric bikes and always wonder how long it will take us to accept a "refueling" time that is measured in HOURS. No, thanks.
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

I talked with a guy riding a Zero at Barber Vintage Days last year. He said that after an eleven lap run (one warm up, nine racem one cool down) his battery was at 50%. He said that on the standard ports there he could recharge in 30 minutes. He also said that on turbo charger ports like Tesla uses he could recharge in15 minutes. The Zeros (two were there) were pretty quick, one winning the twins race. On flat ground, an electric bike at a price comperable to gasoline powered might be nice. Here in the East Tennessee mountains, the grades eat fuel economy rapidly. I probably wouldn't make the 45 mile Tuesday vintage bike night trip on one.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

m in sc

they regenerate downhill, so i bet you could. i have 2 friends with zeros, Dan, who has a new one, made it to the mts and back only charged at lunch in Hendersonville. Im near charlotte nc.

85RZwade

OK, 15 minutes sounds doable to me. No good if you're running late for work, but we, as a society, could learn to PLAN AHEAD. Maybe.
I post waayyy too much

1976RD400C

The Zero dealer let me take one for a 1/2 hour test ride a couple years ago. It definately accelerated quickly but I wasn't that impressed with the suspension and brakes. I took it to 80mph. I could see it as a nice commuter bike. I think it was $10k
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350