News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)

Started by pidjones, August 26, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidjones

Guess I should start a build thread. '76 RD semi-basket case. A roller with engine in frame and a BIG tub of parts. Already ordered 98% of the rest that I'll need (hopefully). It is Chappy Red but I plan to repaint Geneva Green and call her Geneva. She has been setting in a storage shed (in the dry by all evidence, but housing a critter family) for abut 20 years in Ohio. I bought her in Columbus fro a guy that buys old bikes. I had a brand new '76 that I sold in '79 just before getting out of the Navy. I've been rescuing Honda GL1000s and a CB750F the past few years, but always wanted another RD.
Today I took in the paperwork to get a new title (old one lost many years ago) and transfer the tags from a GL1000 that i sold yesterday. I had pulled the master cylinders apart yesterday so today I cleaned and reassembled them. New calipers came in and I trial mounted them. They are repops, and the front needs a little shaving to run straight on the disk.
Disconnected all the tubes from the oil tank, drained a couple ounces of oil out (20 year old and still flowing?), and put some isopropyl alcohol in it that drained out through the supply line fairly easy. I'll still put a camera down in there to  inspect the screen.
Plan is to 98% restore and make her a warm weather daily rider for next summer.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pidjones

Failed leak-down. Leak is between the right crank seal and the lower case. Did a compression test with just a dribble of oil in the plug holes and intake. 110 psi both sides. Looks like she will have to come all the way apart.

pidjones

Engine out of frame, one head (left) and jug off. Piston looks new, head spotless, but the cylinder is shiny top and bottom with surface rust in the port area. New piston (.25 over) installed without honing? Will do the measurements over the next few days. A lot on to-do list preparing for a motorcycle/bicycle/craft show at our church in one month. Also a week's beach vacation this month.

85RZwade

Sounds like life getting in the way of motorcycling! Put a clean rag over the top; it'll be there when you get back (I tell myself that often).
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Ok, all the way apart now. Transmission all looks good. Some sludge in the bottom of the case, but I guess that is expected. Everything feels smooth and shifts smooth. Shift forks look barely worn on contact points, and show no bend.

The case was glued together with some king of grey RTV. There wasn't any in the transmission, but the crankcase had bits of it everywhere. The crank - I have no confidence in it. I have no experience with bearings that spin that fast. Electric motors with grease lubricated bearings, yes. And, these would be rejected then. Seems these should feel tighter, and be silent when I spin the crank with the rods. Instead, there is a constant whir. The outside left main sounds fine the right is noisy, I can't really tell on the centers.

So.... Who are reliable crank rebuilders in the USA? And although this is almost a moot point - about how much does it cost?

Pictures after lunch!

pidjones

Czakky

Chuck Q does cranks. I'm guessing during race season he's probably pretty busy.

pidjones

Lyn Garland was doing them in Georgia, but his Facebook hasn't been updated since 2015.

85RZwade

Lyn is on here, maybe he'll chime in. GRA two strokes does 'em, but he is out here in Washington. Tony Doukas, Ed Ehrlenbach, Scott Clough, Ed Toomey all come to mind as possibilities. I think Chris was making fixtures to do his own crank, IIRC.
I post waayyy too much

pidjones

Ed Toomey has messaged me on Facebook. Presently waiting for a contact from a club member here.

pidjones

I have an email out to Lyn Garland. He was highly recommended by a local club member who races RDs.

Brad-Man

Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

pidjones

The crank was posted to Lyn at noon today. Now, we wait and start on the frame. But, I am in no hurry.

pidjones

Lyn has the crank finished and will be sending it back this week. New development: seat that I ordered from Vietnam came in today! Quickly transfered bumpers and such over to it, then took a ~150 mile ride because the weather is too good to be working on motorcycles. Must be riding them. Took the '06 GL1800 as it hasn't seen much use this summer, and temperature was much better today.

paul1478

can you send a photo of the seat? I am always looking for a new seat.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale