News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Small battery options?

Started by oxford, September 09, 2020, 05:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

on the bike i really care about weight on, there is no battery.  :toot: and maybe 10 feet of wiring total.  :celebrate:

oxford

Quote from: m in sc on September 10, 2020, 01:13:22 PM
on the bike i really care about weight on, there is no battery.  :toot: and maybe 10 feet of wiring total.  :celebrate:

I have very little electrical on this.  Headlight, led tail/brake light and a horn.  I really don't need a battery other than getting the speedo to work.

m in sc

thats why i went with the trailtech ac unit with internal battery. 

is the horn required for state inspection?

quocle603

I use a small lead sealed alarm battery
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

oxford

Quote from: m in sc on September 10, 2020, 02:51:59 PM
is the horn required for state inspection?

It is along with a bunch of other stuff I don't have on the bike.  I never really planned on getting it inspected anyways.

I did figure it is probably useful to have so I put one on.

Dvsrd

Quote from: rodneya on September 10, 2020, 01:06:05 PM
I dont really think that the pound or so that my battery weighs really makes any difference. on my bike. Having a hunk of lithium under my nuts will bother me though. On a new bike with a modern charging system, maybe. Having to charge the battery when I get home with an external charger, way to inconvenient.
Somebody posted a while back  after a small lithium type battery went up in flames while he was riding. The damage was only minor as he pulled the burning hunk out and cooked his hand, but it could be a quick way to loose a bike.
I actually "cooked" a Shorai "lithium" battery,  when the voltage regulator on my Ducati ST2 fried on the Autobahn between Hamburg and Bremen. I guess the constant high-ish cruising speed played a part in that incident. Anyway, the voltmeter read up to 20 V, and the bike misfired badly. The top of the battery had come off, and some kind of gel came ooziing out, and the smell was really funky.  But far from any fire as far as I could tell. The near by Ducati  expert, Rudiger Kaemna installed a new regulator and a new LiPoFe battery. And said they never heard about one failing in the way mine did, and never experienced any fire. In fact, they hardy sold any lead batteries any more, this was in 2014. So I do not worry too much about any potential fire hazard associated with Lithium type batteries. They never cause acid spills,  and do not release H2 during charging.

snorkelfork

Have you tried running a battery eliminator like a Bat-Pac? If you run a permanent magnet system like a Power Dynamo, now called Vape, without a battery a capacitor is needed to even out the voltage.

1. I've ran a batpack on my RZ for years with no battery and no issues.

https://shop.revivalcycles.com/bat-pac-battery-eliminator/

Full disclosure, I work for Revival. I'm not really concerned if you buy it from us or elsewhere.

I like the Bat-Pac over other capacitor options because of the packaging design with allows it to be discreetly wire tied to a frame tube under the seat. And it works, they have a lifetime guarantee from the manufacturer.

2. Shorai claims that their lithium batteries can charge at 14.8v but all other manufacturers that I'm familiar with state 14.5v is the max. That .3v isn't a lot but over an extended period it will shorten the lifespan of the battery to months or maybe a year. If the regulator is out of spec and allowing higher voltages, 15+ then it can cause a cascading meltdown within the battery which makes for a terrible mess and can produce a huge voltage spike that will fry any electronics that are not properly fused.

m in sc

the new vape voltage regulators have a capacitor built in already. (the non finned ones). just fyi.  fwiw, these should also work on an HPI IF you float the ground on the backing plate for a 2 wire ac output. ;)

~JM~

Do you have a Batteries Plus store nearby? I've used their sealed alarm batteries in a couple of bikes. https://www.batteriesplus.com

oxford

Thanks for the replies.  I just ended up going with one of the antigravity batteries, made in the USA sold me on it. 

IR8D8R

Here is why you don't put a LiPo RC battery under your seat. (ignore the idiots).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrsoMsEMNU. Skip to 5:50 for the action.

This results from an overcharge. Wrong current, wrong voltage, or charged above capacity. A dead short can do it also.

Probably 9 times out of 10 the battery is going to puff up, split it's cover, spew smoke, and spit out a nasty solvent-based liquid (or gel) that smells sweet like weird fruit candy. The 10th time it goes incandescent and spews flames like a rocket engine. Nothing will stop it until the energy is expended. I've seen it. Inside my house. No way would I ever put a LiPo under my seat. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) are somewhat safer.

No RC batteries!

IR8D8R

snorkelfork

I just skipped to the good bit so I didn't hear them say it but I assume those are NiCads?

sav0r

Quote from: IR8D8R on October 14, 2020, 07:24:59 PM
Here is why you don't put a LiPo RC battery under your seat. (ignore the idiots).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrsoMsEMNU. Skip to 5:50 for the action.

This results from an overcharge. Wrong current, wrong voltage, or charged above capacity. A dead short can do it also.

Probably 9 times out of 10 the battery is going to puff up, split it's cover, spew smoke, and spit out a nasty solvent-based liquid (or gel) that smells sweet like weird fruit candy. The 10th time it goes incandescent and spews flames like a rocket engine. Nothing will stop it until the energy is expended. I've seen it. Inside my house. No way would I ever put a LiPo under my seat. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) are somewhat safer.

No RC batteries!

IR8D8R

It's just like anything, it's all about managing risk. Low cost battery management modules are available, so you could protect it from over/under charge fairly easily. I ran a small discharge breaker on my battery for a while that would turn the power off under 10.5V. I kept leaving the ignition on when I'd go in stores so it saved my ass a few times. The problem with that system is that it had a small parasitic draw and if I didn't ride like once a week it would drain the battery. So then I just went to straight lipo but with a modern regulator. It charges right at 14.7V all day long, and I can monitor that via my dash. My regulator blew up about 6 weeks ago, I was worried the battery might be bad, but it wasn't. I hacked a new regulator on in the parking lot of the brewery where it broke down, they let me charge battery with my balance charger, and after a beer and some nice relaxation rode the bike home without issue. In the five complete years with that Turnigy RC battery there was probably a much great chance of getting hit by a drunk driver than the pack exploding. I get that it can happen, but the risk is quite low assuming the proper precautions and systems are in place.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

thats a cool science project and all. but I'll take less complex, zero risk on an alarm battery any day.  :twocents:

1976RD400C

I charged it at too high a rate for just a few minutes and got the crap scared out of me. The flames, smoke, and fumes were just crazy, like fireworks.

batteryburn" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350