News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

10,000km summer

Started by Alain2, September 18, 2020, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alain2

Because of the covid situation I had the privilege of riding my RD motorcycles quite a lot this year. I usually insure 3 bikes per season and put approximately 1500km on each of them. This year I insured 4 bikes, put over 5000km on my Daytona Special, and another 5000km split between my 73, 77 and my other 79. I had the pleasure of burning gallons of 2t oil.

The bikes were all reliable, I always made it home. The only problems I encountered are the following; One needle valve got stuck open, but I made it to the gas station on time after the classic hit on the side of the carburetor, problem solved. The other problem was that one oil line disconnected from the carburetor while riding. I don't know how long I drove it like that, but I would say 30-45 minutes at speed ranging between 70-100km/h before I stopped for gas and noticed the side of the bike was covered in 2t oil. I'm lucky I didn't slide as the rear tire was wet. I reconnected the oil line and made it home. That engine was a recent build, when I later opened the engine for inspection there was absolutely no sign of wear, still look new. Thanks to modern oil technology, pumping at a generous average of 32:1.

All my bikes have standard $20 RK530 chain. On my Daytona Special, the chain required few adjustments and has "stretched" about 1% in 5000km. Not bad considering I kept the chain somewhat dry to avoid the mess.

Anybody else put more than usual mileage this season?
1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

sav0r

My ass hurts just from reading that!

Congrats on the epic summer! I wish I could say I rode half as much.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Czakky

I'm at 2k miles (3200km) or so on my R5. Honestly I don't pay much attention.
Under Chuck's and the forum's tutelage I've had a pretty reliable summer, besides my roll pin pulling out on my pump and seizing my left cylinder pretty bad. All my riding on this bike is under 100 mile trips. She's my little stress relief!

Alain2

This is how I ran the oil lines for the rest of the summer:

Alain2

Quote from: Czakky on September 18, 2020, 04:26:44 PM
I'm at 2k miles (3200km) or so on my R5. Honestly I don't pay much attention.
Under Chuck's and the forum's tutelage I've had a pretty reliable summer, besides my roll pin pulling out on my pump and seizing my left cylinder pretty bad. All my riding on this bike is under 100 mile trips. She's my little stress relief!

That sucks for the pump "failure". I hope your rebuild is going strong.

I do keep track of the miles on my 73 and 77 because of the points, I like to maintain them every 1000km. The 79s are factory cdi and I change the oil at the end of the season.

I also keep track of the miles because I'm very interested to know how long the engine is going to last.

85RZwade

Nothing to do with Covid, but I've ridden my RZ almost daily since spring, and I, too am going through 2t oil at an unprecedented rate. No failures, but frequent use has brought my attention to a little rich condition just past 1/4 throttle, cracking intake manifolds, play in the suspension linkage, a leaking fork seal, inoperative and squealing speedometer and headpipes that need to be sealed...again. You'd think it was 35 years old! Winter is coming.
I post waayyy too much

John Ritter

I've ridden about 4800 miles since the beginning of last November and trailered maybe 1500 to 1800 miles getting to good areas. The largest portion of those miles were twisty roads. I try my damnedest to avoid anything straight as anyone who has ridden with me knows. Now for the shameful part, only about 800 miles were on my RD250 w/ported 350 top end (but last season I put about 2000 mi on it). The 4000 other miles were on my FZ1 and one look at any of my tires will prove my bikes get leaned over hard constantly and the FZ1 sees a lot of high speed 125/135 running. Just a side note, I'm now, as of 2 days ago, 76 years old, not bad for an ol' geezer. I forgot I also put maybe 150 to 200 miles on my sons RD400 which is Stage 4 ported, triple exhaust, extensive transfer work, dyno, modified Pro-Flo race pipes etc

Hawaii-Mike

John it's nice to hear you are still going.  Likely you don't remember me, you did a port job on my RD400 cylinders about 15 years ago.  That bike is now owned by the Aloha808.

John Ritter

Hey Mike, must confess I don't specifically recall but glad to see it is still getting used. John