News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Side stand for Jim Lomas pipes

Started by teazer, March 13, 2019, 11:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teazer

I have an RD350 in front of me fitted with a beautiful set of Jim Lomas pipes and of course the side stand bangs into them and hangs lower than I would like.

The first thing I did was to remove teh spring end piece and weld it back on so it didn't hit the pipes.  That helped a little.  Then I heated the stand and bent it so that it more or less follows the pipes and when retracted is much closer to the lower frame rail.

It looked good and fitted well and all was good with the world until I rotated it down to lean the bike on the stand and of course it's now too far "out" and the bike leans way to much.  So the stock stand doesn't work with JL pipes and a modified stand doesn't work well as a stand.

Before I cut the last 4 inches or so off and weld in an insert, what am I missing?  Who has fitted JL pipes and what did you do to get the side stand to work?

retaRD

Many people and myself run the popular pivot relocation kit that lowers the pivot point and angles the kickstand slightly outward, so you don't have the severe lean when on the sidestand and it clears the pipes.  The problem with this kit is ground clearance.  My kickstand foot is ground about halfway through... 

What's better is cutting and re-welding the mount forward on the frame.  Some have done that and can chime in with pics.

I wish Nick (Vintage Smoke) would have pursued making his high clearance kickstand. 

I had been planning on designing a functional sidestand that clears pipes AND has ground clearance without having to relocate the factory mount.

At least JL, in my case and I'm sure in others, are nicely rolled inward before the reversion cone which just so happens to be where the kickstand foot is, so they have more sidestand clearance than some other pipes.

I know this probably doesn't help you much at the moment, just sharing what I've seen.

retaRD

Here you go, I found a pic of mine.  You can see the relocation adapter at the pivot.
And the kickstand foot...  :whatever:

m in sc

i cut the stand off at the knuckle leaving a nub and just made a new one out of tube.

paul1478

I also use the relocation.
BUT WAIT!
MC, I need one of those. I still drag my kickstand on a hard lean. no way that can be done with yours.
Why don't you take orders for a few? I would be 100% in.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

AAAltered

I also used the HVC kit, but with MC pipes.  I found that the inboard spring was hitting the pipes.  Johnny Rotten fixed that for me by moving the spring mount outboard....  the only thing not shown is I added a rubber washer to my stand to act as a bumper.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

Quote from: paul1478 on March 14, 2019, 08:39:12 AM
I also use the relocation.
BUT WAIT!
MC, I need one of those. I still drag my kickstand on a hard lean. no way that can be done with yours.
Why don't you take orders for a few? I would be 100% in.

Not what i do, But, feel free to copy it. I just used a conduit bender, steel tube from home depot (not conduit! lol) cutoff wheel and did some 'meh' mig welds, cut up an old bent to hell stand i got off a parts bike soemwhere. the 'stop' in the frame rail is just a machine isolater cut in half and threaded in. (they sell them at mcmaster).  I -loathe- sidestands resting on pipes on my bikes.

paul1478

to bad but that looks perfect, maybe I will try and copy. Every bike I see with pipes is either leaning way to far over on the side stand or it is handing down to far for me.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Hawaii-Mike

Mark that stand is cherry!  Somebody who knows how to weld, please whip some of these stands up.

m in sc

keep in mind, i had prior angled the mount forward. however, im sure this could be duplicated on a standard mount with the spring on the outside. Unfortunately, the only other RD twin i have with chambers is the lightweight, and that has a triumph sidestand mounted to the engine.  :toot:

on that note... a zx7 or speed triple sidestand can be used if you are willing to weld a mount on the side of the lower frame tube. dave did this on his bike, it worked fantastic.

teazer

Thanks for all that really useful input.  I have some chrome moly - not sure if any of it is a suitable diameter, but if not, hardware store 3/4" tube will probably be OK.  Back to teh drawing board to see what I can adapt from those suggestions.

Oil Burner

My kickstand just broke loose from my nicely powder coated frame  :bang:  At least now maybe I can figure out something that doesn't hang so low with the extension. Running JL's, and I can drag the stand which gets old. Nice and tucked up like yours would be ideal M. I had to walk away from it once it broke.