Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Fuel tank conundrum

Started by 85RZwade, September 26, 2020, 12:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Looking at fuel tanks for my project: XS360 with one fuel valve, XS500 with two (one on each side). What do you think about a fuel valve for each carb...good, bad or indifferent?  :umm: :help:
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

my bike has 2. just needs a crossover

85RZwade

Whattya mean, boss? I haven't had coffee yet this morning...do both valves need to feed each carburetor?
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

typically on dual feed tanks,  the lines connect from left to right at some point. this keeps the tank from starving one carb or the other. so, a t or junction is used to connect the halves. sometimes it's right at the carb. on my rd, the 2 lines come out and go to a junction block then feed back out to the 2 carbs.  so, it doesn't matter how you do it, but they should connect to each other after the tank fitting to some capacity.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

This is going on LC frame, Wade?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Dvsrd

If all else is equal, a tank with 2 taps should be better. Since the interconnect hose is after the taps, removing the tank is less messy. Single petcock tanks, like RD tanks,need a quick connect with shutoff in the balance hose. 2 petcocks is just a better solution.

85RZwade

Yes Jim, it's for the LC frame. I'm looking at an XS360 tank which is in very nice condition, has a single mounting point at the rear like the LC frame but doesn't come with a fuel valve or cap:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Yamaha-XS360-XS-360-Y668-2-red-gas-fuel-petrol-tank/293705403382

And an XS500 tank which is more beat-up, comes with both fuel valves, a cap and key but has two mounting points at the rear:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-1977-YAMAHA-XS500-BLACK-FUEL-TANK-PETCOCKS-CAP-KEY-OEM-1A8-24110-01-09/253229561412

It's a toss-up. I like the value of more included parts and the dual valves, but less dent repair is also appealing. Leaning towards making an offer on the 500 tank.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

always the fuel valve is shit & plan on replacing regardless. go for less dents.   :twocents:

pdxjim

You can get a brand new repop LC tank for about $400 shipped from Japan or UK.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

dgorms

Wade, I might have a few options for you....................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

85RZwade

I'm looking for a different shape than the original LC tank; looks like I need to get a front wheel under it for a trip to see uncle Dennis!
I post waayyy too much