Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Which Project to Show? RD or IT?

Started by cr750, October 28, 2020, 06:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr750

From a long time ago, I might have been a forum member, but couldn't find my old ID.

Anyway...

I've got a few bikes and one of them is an RD350 I've owned since about 1976. It was a basket case when I bought it, and I've rebuilt it several times over the past years. About 10 years ago, I thought it might be nice to make a little project of the old RD. Here is a quick outline of what has been done starting from the front -
LC forks with Grimeca caliper, Venhill lines to a "who knows" master, flat bars, Suzuki TS X quick action throttle, Scitsu tacho on a fabricated mount, unknown headlight shell, PowerDynamo ignition and 180W permanent magnet altenator, my own wiring loom front to back, ported cylinders (local guy with experience), VForce reeds, balance pipe manifolds, big Uni filters, Dale A / Dave Friest carb mods, modified R1Z crossover GP-style pipes, my own rearsets, modified LC (was monoshock) swingarm, TZ ducktail, home made brake/tail light, and modified (cable operated) rear brake.

My other project is to build a 1980 IT125H. This bike started out as a DT175 engine. Had to procure the entire rest in bits and pieces over time.

85RZwade

Glad you decided to show them both! Your IT looks nearly complete; that's no easy task, assembling a bike from parts found here and there. I like the RD a lot, especially that swingarm and the rearsets. Hope to see more of these gems in the future!
I post waayyy too much

350GUY

Thats a very cool looking RD350. Thanks for posting.
Are those forks are off the RD400?

Cheers,

Daryl

cr750

Quote from: 350GUY on October 31, 2020, 07:10:30 PM
Thats a very cool looking RD350. Thanks for posting.
Are those forks are off the RD400?

Cheers,

Daryl
Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the props. (I think that's what the young people say   8-:)
I believe the forks are from the first model water-cooled RD350, colloquially known in Australia as LC. A friend of mine raced LCs for many years, and he provided forks, caliper, caliper bracket and front 'guard. I've Gold Valved them, just because.

Dvsrd

If they are LC forks, the diameter is only 32 mm, vs 34. for RD 250/350/400.
Guess the Daytona and RZ forks are 35 mm?

pdxjim

Mudguard mounting is all wrong for LC forks.

TZR 1KT or R1Z more likely
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

cr750

They are necked and 34 and a bit at the top, and 35 and a bit from the lower triple clamp down. pdxjim may be right. My friend's LC was highly modded, went, handled and stopped very well. There are several LCs 250 and 350, an R1Z, a couple of formula 3 TZRs and a TDR, along with 2x IT400, 2x IT 250, IT175, IT125, and an IT200. Oh, I forgot the CX125. :vroom: :vroom: :vroom: