click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Modern front brake caliper.

Started by vmx51, October 29, 2020, 05:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jspooner

Quote from: Dvsrd on November 01, 2020, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: Jspooner on November 01, 2020, 01:21:28 PM
I am not a brake expert by any means and I'm not saying there's any advantage except that I know it works and it works well and has excellent feel...........the disc is a modified XS disc thinned out to about 4.5mm and made to look like a TZ disc.
So a 298 mm disc from a 73-76 XS650?

Yes.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

oxford

Quote from: retaRD on November 01, 2020, 02:14:35 PM
Quote from: Dvsrd on November 01, 2020, 02:03:30 PM
Nice setup RetaRD!
So the XS hub is wider than an RD hub from center to disc mounting flange?

Also, that specific Ducati/ Brembo disc looks great, but is heavier than most other 320 mm discs, because the hub/ carrier is steel, not aluminum.
Thanks.
From what I recall, no, the rotor mating surface is the same distance from center, as I used the same rotor spacers from my earlier FZR rotor/caliper setup I ran on a stock RD hub.  I would have to check and verify that though. 

I was referring to the spoke flanges being slightly wider, which with a 298mm rotor would not easily clear an XS hub, but 320mm does enough, with some very minor shaving of the caliper. 

I'm not sure what XS hub you used but I had one I was going to use on the dual brake setup I pictured.  From what I remember the one I had  the flanges are 10mm overall wider than a rd350 and the disc surface was also wider.  I couldn't use that hub for the dual disc front end with stock spread rd trees. 

It was close and I didn't realize it as first as I only had one disc mounted and the hub sitting in the forks for mock-up.  It wasn't until after I did a bunch of work to the hub and had both discs mounted I found out it wasn't going to work with the calipers.  Thankfully I didn't lace the wheel yet.  I ended up having to source the tx500 hub.

This was a dual disc xs650 hub.

Dvsrd

Quote from: Jspooner on November 01, 2020, 02:22:38 PM
Quote from: Dvsrd on November 01, 2020, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: Jspooner on November 01, 2020, 01:21:28 PM
I am not a brake expert by any means and I'm not saying there's any advantage except that I know it works and it works well and has excellent feel...........the disc is a modified XS disc thinned out to about 4.5mm and made to look like a TZ disc.
So a 298 mm disc from a 73-76 XS650?

Yes.
Then it definitely looks like a Grimeca or AP Lockheed caliper is more suitable for a 298 mm disc with stock RD forks. The stock RD caliper will need a ridiculously big adapter bracket with that disc use.

teazer

XS650 disks and carriers fit fine on a TZ250/350 wheel and the forks are perfect for a stock RD caliper which works just fine on a TZ.

And if you can't find a good TZ250/350 C/D/E front end or and F or G front end, try a pair of XS650 sliders on RD forks. The sliders are longer but take stock RD type calipers and work with 298mm disks.

Always more than one way to skin a feline.

Or get a complete RZ350 or FZR400 front end and upgrade wheels and brakes.

Dvsrd

Quote from: teazer on November 01, 2020, 10:44:36 PM
XS650 disks and carriers fit fine on a TZ250/350 wheel and the forks are perfect for a stock RD caliper which works just fine on a TZ.

And if you can't find a good TZ250/350 C/D/E front end or and F or G front end, try a pair of XS650 sliders on RD forks. The sliders are longer but take stock RD type calipers and work with 298mm disks.

Always more than one way to skin a feline.

Or get a complete RZ350 or FZR400 front end and upgrade wheels and brakes.
Yes, I actually have a pair of 73-76 XS 650 fork sliders, to go with the stock caliper and a 298 mm disc. However,  it is not only longer, but also has a larger OD and is significantly heavier than an RD slider. Also, the axle hole / clamp area is several mm wider.  At some point, I will finish machining them down to RD dimensions. Maybe when I retire......

Jspooner

Did the OPs original question ever really get answered here? Seems like lots of different options were thrown out there though. :umm:
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

You can thin the back of an fzr600 caliper to work on a stock rotor (ive seen this 1st hand) but ive only seen it done on a 400 mag wheel.   :twocents:

The other opinions are there because: point being, for the work involved, a larger rotor makes sense for weight reduction, better stopping power, and fitment.   

vmx51

it seems the "easiest" would be to try one of the new reproduction aluminum calipers. I am not looking for mega braking powere , just want it to work good. my original iron caliper is binding , so rathere than mess around with it , I want to try something different

Dvsrd

Quote from: vmx51 on November 03, 2020, 08:15:02 AM
it seems the "easiest" would be to try one of the new reproduction aluminum calipers. I am not looking for mega braking powere , just want it to work good. my original iron caliper is binding , so rathere than mess around with it , I want to try something different
Yes, definitely. Reproduction alminum, caliper, a braided 1 piece hose, (remove the stock brake light switch) and get a 12-14 mm master cylinder with a built in brake light switch. For road riding, that is enough brake, and you will save close to 2 lbs/ 1kg of weight in the process.

350GUY

For those that are not technically inclined, just go with the 2015 Yamaha SR400 entire front suspension, inclusive of brake set-up. The rake is the same as the RD350. New tech, vintage looks and parts are not +35 years old...

retaRD

Quote from: 350GUY on November 04, 2020, 09:24:30 AM
For those that are not technically inclined, just go with the 2015 Yamaha SR400 entire front suspension, inclusive of brake set-up. The rake is the same as the RD350. New tech, vintage looks and parts are not +35 years old...
Do you have that on your bike?  Any pics?

Dvsrd

Seems like the SR400 has a 2 piston sliding caliper, I guess due to spoke clearance issues and cost .
A 4 pot would be better caliper. Period.
SR disc looks nice and light-ish though! See attached pic.

m in sc

if a 4 pot caliper you want to use won't fit, doesnt matter how good it is sitting on the shelf....  :twocents:  i have a 4 pot brembo sitting on the shelf right now myself for later use on a project. i get it, but i mean, has to fit.

teazer

There are some really nice Brembo billet calipers that are substantially thinner and lighter than regular cast calipers.  They cost a bit more too.

The pair I have came off an AF1 race bike and one is cracked, but the other I will use on a TZ one of these days if my brain doesn't explode over the election shenanigans first.