News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Wrist pain riding cafe Rd

Started by Still biking, November 02, 2020, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still biking

I have an RD350 that is cafe with clip ons.  It takes about 5 to 10 minutes of riding and my wrists get tired/sore.  Any one have that problem and is there anything other than changing clip ons you can do about it?  Wrist supports, etc?

Czakky

m in sc

get apex or other clipons to change angle, or go to sv or rz bars.  also, adjust your levers to the sit where your fingers naturally rest when sitting on bike. my clutch lever always sits almost pointing straight down on most of my bikes like this, but i never have wrist pain. 

dgorms

Ibuprofen.........................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

1976RD400C

Hold the bike more using your legs and abs so you can relax your arms and have a very light grip on the bars. Use your abs to hold your body up and relax your wrists.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Still biking

I will try that.  Maybe I can lose my belly flab too!

quocle603

Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

pdxjim

FWIW, I got these cheapo aluminum superbike style 'bars off Amazon for my LC and they are awesome!

Really comfortable bend and rise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KHUB0ES/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are pretty narrow, with barely enough room for the master and switchgear/throttle and the stock guages, but they fit fine, and I always chop the bars down as narrow as I can anyway.

For $23 shipped, no complaints at all.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Jspooner

If you must have clip ons I found that the TZ replica clip ons from mead speed are very comfortable. I run mine above the top triple which helps a lot but with an RD and stock forks that probably isn't an option. Could always get longer fork tubes that would allow that though.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Dvsrd

I tend to get more neck pain than wrist pain when using clip ons.
But with no fairing and enough speed,  the wind will take the weight off the wrists  :whistle:
Joke aside, 3 of my bikes have "Superbike low" alloy handlebars from LSL. 2 " rise is just right for the RD, the XS650 and the ST2.

rodneya

Foot peg position can make a big difference as well. Feet too high or forward will make clip-ons more uncomfortable

oxford

Quote from: Jspooner on November 03, 2020, 05:28:56 PM
. I run mine above the top triple which helps a lot................Could always get longer fork tubes that would allow that though.

This is what I did.  You can get a set of fork tubes for a tx650, they are 2" longer than rd tubes.  $110 from Mikes XS.

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-34mm-fork-tubes-set-2-for-72-73-oem-306-23124-60-00.html

Hawaii-Mike

Consider switching to drag bars.

pidjones

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on November 06, 2020, 02:10:36 AM
Consider switching to drag bars.
Or, "Euro" style. There is a good reason they became popular. I used Honda CB400F (very similar to what they now call Euro bars) bars on my 400c. Had Yamaha put them on as it was assembled from the crate.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Hawaii-Mike

I have euro style bars on most of my bikes.  I suggested drag bars because they look "trick" kinda like how clip-ons and clubman bars look.  Even when I was 18 clubmans were hard to ride with for very long.  Now... no ways I would use clip-ons or clubmans.  BTW I am 41 years past being 18.