News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

A quick measurement, please

Started by pidjones, November 17, 2020, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidjones

Would one of you fine folks provide me with the measurement from the center of and RD400c (US version, if  it matters) seat hinge pin to the corner 90 degree bend? Either my Vietnamese seat has the wrong dimensions, or the seat hinges I ebayed are not right for the bike. The seat comes almost six inches from closing. That would require just a few mm adjustment, for which I plan to account by machining a couple small spacers to go between the hinge and seat pan.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pidjones

Also, a question on assembly order. I almost have the electrical panel (with fuse box, rectifier, regulator) finished and ready to mount. But, should the airbox be mounted first? And, can both of these be mounted before the engine?

RDFL

Do you have the hinge with the catch thing in back?

pidjones

Quote from: RDFL on November 17, 2020, 03:03:23 PM
Do you have the hinge with the catch thing in back?
No. Just a simple hinge.

RDFL

The one on left next to latch goes to rear, don't know if in front would do what your having or not but might. If they look like in pic you have right hinges, if tou still need measurements I can get them later. --

pidjones

Actually, they both look like the one on the right.

pidjones

Woah! just looked again and I do have the hinge with the tab, and it is on the rear. So, I suspect the Vietnamese seat pan is not correct. I will just make up a few spacers real quick to raise the seat on that side. Shouldn't need to be more than 4 - 5 mm thick.

pidjones

Added about 5mm to each hinge and almost 20 to the latch before it was level and would latch. This is with stock bumpers, most of which came off of the old seat.

It now latches, and is level right-left. I'll keep it wrapped in the cling-wrap for now.