Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

wheel re-building

Started by elliottles1, October 15, 2020, 12:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Id imagine that the guys at Buchanan can lace and true a wheel in no time at all. takes me hours and quite a bit of frustration.

m in sc

for some oddball reason my GF wants to learn how to do it. she likes puzzles and detailed tasks, si i told her id buy a truing stand and she could have at it.  I again, not sure why, but she has asked me a few times. I don't know how nor really have the desire myself but  :umm: ok.  :cheerleader:

Evans Ward

^ that's cool Mark and there is a market if she ever wanted to make some extra cash. I can true a wheel from years of bicycle wrenching and racing (duathalons) years ago. A good wheel stand is paramount as is the correct spoke wrench for the application. Lacing a wheel is not something that interests me so I pay for that service.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

m in sc

we'll see. either way, a good wheel stand & spoke wrench will be useful, regardless.

Diablo007

My wife helped rebuild her DT125A wheels.  The rims were pretty darn rusty.  We found NOS spokes and D.I.D alloy rims in the shop so she decided to help with the wheel building.

All the tips that have been given will be a great help.  If all your spokes are from the same manufacturer you should be able to pre-tighten all of them to the same length and until they hold the rim w/o wobbling.  Then move to truing.  Then tighten all the spokes to the same torque.

This is one of the youtube videos I mentioned.  Since it auto-populated when I searched right now I'm guessing it and the 2nd part are the ones that helped the most:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOEQwViNLuU&feature=emb_logo

Keep us posted.
2 stroke junkie:
Too many motorcycles to list.  The highlights:
1973 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer project; 1983 Suzuki RG250 YammaGamma project; 1988 Yamaha YSR50/80 project; 1984 Yamaha RZ350; 1984 Yamaha RZ500

JB Weld

I've been very interested in this! Someday I will try when I have the money to buy everything (after I have my crank rebuilt, or Vito's, someday).

I never thought of truing on the bike. That helps the budget a bit.

Still biking

If you completely re lace a wheel with new spokes, using a torque spoke wrench makes it a lot easier.  Also, truing a wheel is like a bicycle as is re spoking.  There is a lot of difference between re spoking a front wheel vs a rear one.  The bicycle stuff will help you understand that.  Watch some you tube videos!