Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Tytronic ignition

Started by IR8D8R, November 08, 2020, 02:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

85RZwade

I have no personal experience, but I did a little reading: they're inexpensive components, marketed under different names and come with vague installation instructions (language translation issues). They're solid-state triggers that replace points and provide maintenance-free sparks, but no change in spark duration or intensity. Complaints center around the instructions, but I didn't find anyone with operational or durability problems.
I post waayyy too much

dgorms

I bought one for my DS-7 a couple of years ago, as Wade stated the instructions are vague at best. I am still planning on trying it after I get enough break in miles logged. As of now it's still in the box. I did hear a few comments about the engine starting backwards if it wasn't timed perfectly.............................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

m in sc

huge failure rate. like 30% percent.

:eek:

RDFL

Pretty sure failures are from people that used the splice thing, not wiring properly.

m in sc

mmm nope. Nick had discussions with the guy that was importing them and sold them here for a while. Just cheap knockoff units w poor build quality that had failed pickups.  Why do i 'know'? because nick was considering offering them as well. but passed for this reason. we had in person discussions about this a few yrs ago.  But i mean, hey, try it.

20+ yrs ago when dyna s ignitions were 110 bucks i made my own for an rd, was really easy.

RDFL

I've had one on my RD for I guess a couple of years now, don't ride it many miles but friend has had one same time rides it to work 50 or so miles round trip 5 days a week no problem. A shop down the road from us sold tons of them mostly to Honda owners with no problem.

rodneya

Actually cheaper to buy from Texas than China

teazer

Did I read somewhere that they come for the place that made them for a one of the US Honda aftermarket suppliers and either the manufacturer started to sell them directly or that they were copied by a third party.

I used one on a Honda 160 and that application needs only one of the two pickups, so it essentially comes with a spare module  :whistle:

teazer