Main Menu

72 R5, round 2.

Started by m in sc, November 28, 2020, 07:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

:cheerleader: Great thread, everyone!   :bacon:
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

m in sc

bit of an update.

got tuning dialed in a bit. now need to swap to 7 disc clutch, won't hold even with new plates with eh stock 6 plate.

stock r5 carbs, 169p-0 emulsion tube vs the 169o-0, 140 main, 5dp7 needle, 2nd clip, 35 pilot (needs a 37.5 or a 40), airscrews at a hair under 3/4.  k&n in y boot.

not a 'legit' plug chop but feels good, pulls really strong over 5k.

soonerbillz

Is that the correct Headlight shell? Or from something else?
Bike looks great.. can't wait to start actually building mine.. Buying parts is fun.. but man ... The waiting is killing me!

m in sc

headlight is the chrome one from economy cycle from yrs ago with an led bulb H4 and i put the high beam indicator in from the stock headlight. thanks, its fun. :D

Might actually bring this one to the gap this year.   

m in sc

received my vape CDI from john at economy last week, and also installing a zeeltronic (spare i had) on this to give it better charging, much better spark and a rev limiter.

keep in mind, its an rd bottom end but same as an r5 for the most part. had to notch the LH cover to clear the pickup.

Also, used a long thin piece of welding wire to snake up a neutral wire through the vape harness.

Not a show bike by any stretch.

notched to clear pickup.

green wire = n

loctite all the screws. double check the pickup mounts as well, they aren't usually 100% tight.

timing pointer i made out of aluminum for my cdi  yamahas.  timed at leading edge of sharpie.

the zeel lets you set the initial timing static angle, this wound up being 37.2. what you do is set it up advanced, somewhere under 50 degrees, and then adjust it digitally under setup.  max advance im using is 22 on this motor so far. retard goes to 17 degrees at 9k.  I just write the static on the rotor
for later ref

zeel box mounted on front of battery box. the nice thing about usiung a zeel is it requires power to run, so you power this off the old coil lead and your ign works as stock with the key and kill.   no relay needed.

coil mounted. i drilled 2 holes on lower LH brace, used spacers and 35mm stainless m5 allens to mount up.

ALL stock wiring intact, (battery harness is saved as well ) i didn't cut a single wire. can be reversed.

side note, you HAVE to used resistor plugs OR caps to run the zeel. no way around it.  I forgot, wouldn't fire off without em, so i put on 5 ohm resistor caps.. otherwise, it scrambled the zeel.   :eek:

did a quick testride last night, def better.

soonerbillz

Nice!
Thank you so much for posting this. I'll be doing this at some point. Nice to have a visual.
Where did you wire the caps into?

m in sc

m in sc

yup. pretty common.

IF you dont run the zeel its not needed. just fyi.

m in sc

Havent updated much, but the 72 just seems to be running really well all year. But, I did a bit of cleanup on it and added a tool tray under the seat.

What i did was bend up some aluminum, and used speed nuts to mount the upright tot he stock battery box (no cutting nec to stock stuff). then bent up the top part and used an m5 bolt with some heatshrink on it to sit in the stock 'pin' location of the airbox.

this would work on an rd as well.  (k&N y boot solution). I use one of the alarm batteries as well hence the extra room in there.

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

so, a sa LONG overdue follow up, this is the biek i put the ebay RD cyls on. 6 mos ago i swapped them out and its been really good. I wanted to put in some v force reeds vs the stockers,  remove the reed spacer and just get a look at the face of the piston. this motor sees 10 pretty regular, and gets ridden fairly frequently.

Reeds are for rm100/kx85. drill holes out to 9.5 mm and they bolt right in.. NO cyl cutting. they are also 4mm shorter than a stock rd reed cage so the boost port gets unshrouded a bit.

Cyls and pistons are ebay specials, $194 set that come sup. JUst had to chamfer the ports & remove the intake tab on the piston like a banshee piston.

carbs are stock rd350 carbs , no dave f mod.

the v-force reeds alone, no other changes, def smoothed out the transition intot he powerband. zero jetting changes needed.

also did a compression check after 6 mos. about where it was from 'new'. heads are unmodified r5 units, so not super awesome.

as the bike currently sits:

Kawtriplefreak

RustyRD

The seat look great, the whole bike looks great, is that the Texavina seat? How long did it take to arrive from Vietnam ? I think that's where they ship from.

m in sc

thanks. yes, it was just under 4 weeks.