News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

My DS7 Journey

Started by Tjtalan, October 20, 2020, 07:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjtalan

Growing up my father spoke very highly of the old Yamaha two-stroke's. Almost as though they were these legendary machines, now I know they are. I lost my father early in life, still he helped instill in me a passion for the motorcycle. So when this little Yamaha DS7 turned up just around the corner from me, I jumped on it. I paid too much for a bike that is beautiful, but mechanically shit. I just felt a connection with it, so the money doesn't matter.

It's my first Yamaha road bike, so I'll have questions along the way. Hopefully my restomod process will interest some of you. The direction will likely change multiple times, my builds always do.

I've had it for about a month, made some changes and much more are coming. These photos document them in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tjtalan

Being new to the Yamaha club I spent a lot of time researching. I started looking at pipes because the old set up have some huge dents. I believe them to be JR power pipes. Facebook pointed me to Garret at GRA2strokes. His Millennium GP pipes looked perfect, so I ordered a set. I should have them this weekend. After finding out he doesn't just make pipes we started talking about setting the bike up with a R5 top end. 

So this is in the works!
R5 top end, Wossner piston's, stage 2 porting (open up intakes and exhaust cut down sleeves on main transfers weld exhaust gasket and match to pipe flanges, raise and aim transfers. Machine heads with o ring and dowel pins with proper squish and compression ratio for pump gas.

I also pulled the trigger on an alloy TZ350 style tank and tail. So who knows where this will end up.

m in sc

they do look like modified j&rs.

I dig it. I assume you got it with the seat done already. its funky for sure.  sohc cb in the background looks good. love the body work.  :patriot:

Tjtalan

It did come with the seat, I'm still debating whether or not I like it. It is however very nicely done.

The CB is a long time project, my intention is a CR750 style hot rod.

quocle603

Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Tjtalan

Thank you, it looks like it's going to turn into an awesome little project.

Tjtalan

Well I should've taken better pictures when the pipes arrived, but I was excited. So I sent them off to get ceramic coated. Went with a semi flat black color. The quality of the silencers is excellent!

Tjtalan

m in sc

i dig it, saw on FB last night or this am.   :vroom: :clap:

how do you shift with the lever so high? serious q. my foot would never be angled that high.

Tjtalan

Thanks man! The angle will change, I was waiting until I knew where the pipes would fit. Still need to set everything up the way I like it.

85RZwade

Super cool! I'm also a fan of the TZ look, but IMHO that bike is a rear fender away from being just right  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much

Tjtalan

Thank you, and I agree, I think this bike is almost done. I'll just need to build another one, start from a frame.

The rear fender has me sort of stumped at the moment. The frame was previously cut, so fabricating something decent is a challenge.