Started by Milan, January 15, 2021, 02:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan

What paint to use on some of the fading parts on the bikes:

Kick stand
Foot rests
Center-stand
etc...

accessory parts, not the engine or cases.
Mostly cast stuff with roughness

Its not Gloss, & its not flat.

Matte or Satin.
Who makes it

Krylon has Satin & Matte
Any others?

What about the engine cases

Some other posts on spray paint, but not many replies

M

pidjones

I use Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy (called that, but it is a single-part paint) rattle can. Crappy valves, but great paint.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

NYSingh

I've had the best luck with PJ1 Fast Black, but DON'T buy off Amazon - I think vendors there are selling old cans that are kinda clumpy and don't spray properly. 

I have not had luck with VHT - sprays and covers fine but seems to chip off easily even when I follow the instructions to the T.
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

m in sc

dupli color semi gloss caliper paint w ceramic. thats my new fave shit since they changed the formula of the engine paint.  :twocents:

pdxjim

Quote from: m in sc on January 15, 2021, 03:51:42 PM
dupli color semi gloss caliper paint w ceramic. thats my new fave shit since they changed the formula of the engine paint.  :twocents:

I mostly use whatever satin or semi I have at hand, but the Duplicolor Caliper paint is some of the most durable I've used.

Before that, like Mark says, was Duplicolor Engine enamel.  That shit used to be indestructable.  Now, notsomuch.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

sav0r

I know paints are the easy option, but if you find yourself doing a lot of small parts check out the Harbor Freight powder coat setup (there are probably non HF sold units that are the same and even cheaper). I bought one expecting it to be total junk (it is) but 6 years later I still use it. I use quality powder from the powder coat store on eBay and an old toaster oven I bought from a college kid to cure. It's certainly more messing around, I don't particularly like creating a cloud of plastic in or around my shop, but it's way more durable and I find getting coverage on complex and small parts to be way more reliable with powder. Everything I have done in powder has lasted extremely well over the last 6 years. There isn't even any appreciable fade like was common when powder coat got popular.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

rodneya

Spraymax 2k hot Rod Satin Black has a great finish