News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

lifting the m.c w/out a center stand

Started by forexer, January 18, 2021, 04:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forexer

I bought this Yamaha RD350 and it has exhaust chambers on it so the center stand has been removed. I was wondering what you guys do to lift a bike up safely so you can work on it with the front and rear wheel being off the ground. I checked out some youtube videos however most of those videos show you how to lift it up in a pinch to change a tire and the other ideas shown in the videos looked rather unsafe. So therefore I thought I'd ask the  group.

Thanks

m in sc

beam and ratchet straps if possible. 

however, i just pulled the wheel off the r5, has stock pegs with chambers. i put a jackstand under the RH peg loop and the side-stand, brought the ft wheel right off the ground.  as far as the rear, i used a long 3/8 peice of steel bar, used 2 jack stands (one each side) to do rear wheel. thru the old center stand holes.

forexer

as far as the rear, i used a long 3/8 peice of steel bar, used 2 jack stands (one each side) to do rear wheel. thru the old center stand holes.

PERFECT - I'm glad I asked  :clap:

pidjones

I have a pit stand from Harbor Freight that I use to left the back of a GL1000 (over 600 lbs) that has the center stand removed. A similar stand can be built to lift the front. Also, both front and rear stands are made for sport bikes. Many use spools that are attached to either existing or added mounting points. My GoldWing uses spools attached via extended lower shock bolts. The stands are also available with pads that lift under the swingarms.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pdxjim

I recently bought one of these from Harbor Freight for $35.

It's crap, but gets the job done, and can easily lift an RD or similar.

I wouldn't use it for anything heavier.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

but with some chambers, these won't work to get wheel off.  I have regular stands as well but sometime ypu need to go another way.

pdxjim

Quote from: m in sc on January 18, 2021, 09:06:31 PM
but with some chambers, these won't work to get wheel off.  I have regular stands as well but sometime ypu need to go another way.

Yup.

I have three paddock stands, and a stand for the dirtbike.

In this case one size does not fit all.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Seizer

I use a Pitbull lift/stand. It's actually for the forks (bottom of fork legs below axle blocks) on another bike of mine but it's the same width as the swingarm. If I need to pull the wheel I usually set jackstands under the pegs.

SoCal250

I have this same dilemma and use a rod through the center stand frame lugs like Mark, or jack stands under the pegs like Chris. I have 3 different race stands but none will work without removing the pipes
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

for stock pegs this is what i was describing.

Seizer

Here's my setup. Once it's up, or if I need the stand for the Duc, I use jackstands under the pegs.

teazer

To get the rear wheel out, use any rear paddock stand.  Easy peasy

For teh front wheel, you need a stand that uses a peg into the bottom of the steering stem.  Pitbull are probably stiffest and most secure but there are others out there.  I have a really old Lockhart Pillips stand that is a bear to lift, but makes work easy.

m in sc

thats fine and all IF you dont have the dampener still in the lower tree on a stockish bike. I know you can remove it, i have a neck stand and a few track paddock rear stands. But sometimes they dont fit easily w/out removing pipes, dampeners, etc.  Im thinking this is more what this thread is about.

However, it IS nice having the right stuff as well. this monstrosity would have been much worse to do the neck bearings w out a neck stand . however, when i was driving the bearing races out, had to support by jack under the motor. Not the warmest fuzziest feeling i ever had.  :shocked:

Kawtriplefreak

I use a piece of rebar and two jack stands for either end or a couple of scissor jacks and a suitably sized small timber.

RustyRD

Pit stands front and rear, they really make some jobs a lot easier. Not the cheapest route.