News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Narcolepsy

Started by Inov8, February 04, 2021, 01:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inov8

This will not be a build in the typical sense; as this bike came to me restored, complete and running. However, it had some issues that made it run poorly and it had no power. When I first got the bike I didn't care for the old school Hot Rod satin black theme. I originally wanted to do a race replica. But then the look started to grow on me and I began to see it for what it could easily be. So, the overall goal of this project is to build a total sleeper that is a blast to ride on the street. A bike that is understated and perhaps borderline boring, visually, but something that will surprise the unsuspecting Supersport squid (we have a surplus of them around Daytona) as it pulls away from traffic light. Please let me know your thoughts. Suggestions are welcome and wisdom is always appreciated. 

Short term goals are:
-Sort out existing Vape ignition and make programmable
-New pipes
-Porting
-(+5mm) longrod conversion
-Fresh bore/banshee pistons
-Nikasil cylinder plating
-Reshaped OEM heads for modern pump gas
-V-force reeds with spacers
-New intake manifolds with crossover or boost bottle
-VM28 carbs bored to 29.5 with UFOs and divider plates
-520 chain conversion
-Upgrade suspension

Long term goals:
-Weight reduction
-400 transmission
-Programmable fuel/oil injection
I'll just shut up now and go back my Crayons and coloring book

rodneya

A set of flat slides rather than the Ufo's and dividers is a better option if you are porting and putting on better pipes.
maybe a brake upgrade, it will also help with the weight reduction.

pdxjim

This was basically my plan with my recent LC resto.  Stock appearance with (very) hot motor.

I had RB offset bore my TDR's TM28ss out to 29.5mm and install his divider plates.  No complaints, and prob the best choice for that bike, but if I was working on an aircooled RD I'd def sell the stock carbs and buy a pair of VM30 or PWK28.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

pwk30 and a programmable ign box. (zeeltronic).  big front brake

Yamaha 179

I think your short term goals are pretty good but wonder about replacing the cylinder heads.  My experience with the RDs has always been to try to improve cylinder head cooling; fashioning ducts to direct air over the heads, running Daytona Special heads on conventional 400 engines, and even welding on additional fins (early in the game).  You appear to have DG, or some other special, heads on the engine.  Why not have those combustion chambers reshaped to meet your current needs? 

Changing pipes, porting and V Force reeds is a good idea.  I don't like boost bottles but the crossover is helpful in smoothing out the engine.  I have used VM 28s bored to 29.5mm for years and like them very much but many, many guys of the forum are using flat slides now and are happy with them.  I have Lectron's on our Spondon TZ and they are very crisp out of the corners and work well.
Save the 520 chain conversion until you get the 400 transmission but that is worth the effort too.

I think weight reduction and keeping the bike look stock will be kind of difficult.  Replacing wheel rims, the brake disc, etc will do some but to keep it looking stock will probably keep it kind of heavy. 
Lyn Garland 

Inov8

Thanks for the suggestions. I put flat slides on a 400 I had, and liked them a lot. They definitely improved driveability and throttle response; especially at lower RPMs. Based on many hours of reading, there seems to be a consensus that the Mikuni VM's with UFO's and divider plates can perform as well as flat slides. I'll admit, I'm a bit skeptical; but I'm willing to try. I do realize that trying to reduce weight while keeping the stock look is going to be a challenge and the reason I listed it as a long term goal. Fortunately, access to, and relative affordability of, super lightweight materials has never been better. We'll see how it goes.

Djg8493

Random background question, do the hooks that the weedwackers sit on hinge as your garage door opens?  I find that set up amusing for some reason 8)
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

Aloha808

Quote from: Djg8493 on February 07, 2021, 05:00:47 PM
Random background question, do the hooks that the weedwackers sit on hinge as your garage door opens?  I find that set up amusing for some reason 8)

I was wondering the same thing.

Inov8

Quote from: Djg8493 on February 07, 2021, 05:00:47 PM

Yes, they go up with the door and hang overhead. I've become a fan of hanging things up wherever possible. It leaves more usable floor space and makes it easier to sweep or vacuum.

85RZwade

I missed that the first time around; clever solution  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much

Inov8

I did this with bicycles several years ago and wouldn't you know it, had room for another motorcycle.  :guinness:

rodneya

Quote from: Inov8 on February 07, 2021, 11:51:48 PM
I did this with bicycles several years ago and wouldn't you know it, had room for another motorcycle.  :guinness:

That welder is an absolute beast

pidjones

All of the lighting in our garage is two-bulb fluorescent bins (converted to LED) suspended from chains and plugged into outlets in the ceiling wired to the switches. I've managed to store all sorts of things above them.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Djg8493

Quote from: 85RZwade on February 07, 2021, 11:19:04 PM
I missed that the first time around; clever solution  :thumbs:

Nice, I like it!  It always bothered me the amount of wasted wall space on the back of the garage door.
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

m in sc

thats where you hang the nudie pics.   :whistle: