This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Dave F Mod after porting

Started by Striker1423, February 05, 2021, 09:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inov8

Quote from: Striker1423 on February 08, 2021, 09:13:00 PM
On a side note, I realized I still haven't solved my wiring woes.

You may want to check/clean ground connections and reinstall with some No-Ox. Then, using a meter, Ohm out the wires in the part of the harness causing an issue (looking for a floating value). If more than one part of the system is faulty (say lights and ignition as opposed to just lights), it's most probably a bad ground. Very little chance all of those wires failed at the same time unless there was a meltdown; in which case, the issue can be identified visually. Electrical gremlins are only an unknown until they become known. I like to know. Using process of elimination, you can identify the issue every time. Buying a used harness is a gamble as you may inherit someone else's issue/s without ever knowing what yours was to begin with.
I'll just shut up now and go back my Crayons and coloring book

pidjones

I often find hidden poor connection between the wire and the connector.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Striker1423

Well, before the big kaboom, I had lost the headlight. Or so I thought. The low beam was not on. Switching to high beam turned the lamp on though. Consequently, once I restarted the motor to limp it home, the low beam worked again as usual. I figured either a connection vibrated loose, or perhaps the switch itself was losing contact. 75mph was an interesting vibration for the bike.

Regardless, my harness had broken wire repairs from myself, a complete re-wire of the neutral and tail light. Not to mention the speedometer tapped into it, etc.  I figure either a fresh start, or a good used one might make the rebuild of my bike easier.

I'm considering putting the relay, and blinker behind the side cover somehow, just haven't come up with a good mounting solution yet. Also, the plug for the VAPE is annoyingly backwards to me. Meaning, the plug is fished from the frame instead of disconnected right at the motor. I've considered making a change there as well.

Brad-Man

John @ EconomyCycle has new harnesses...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

Striker1423

I'm aware and was debating that as well.