Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Powder coating chambers

Started by vmx51, February 13, 2021, 01:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmx51

Is it possible to powder  coat expansion chambers ? , or do the header pipes get too hot ?

rodneya

People say you can do it with high temp powder, but the ones I have seen have had bits and pieces of road grunge stuck in the powder after the heat softens the coating enough for anything thrown up by the front wheel to stick.

sav0r

Yeah, they look like shit after a bit.

Chrome is probably best, or if you are cheap like me, wire wheel them each spring and then mop and glow them.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

pdxjim

Ceramic, BBQ paint or nickle/chrome.

Or if you're a baller on a budget:

... and I'm nowhere as attentive as Chris.  I did my mild steel M77 pipes once with M&G back in 2016, and they haven't rusted yet.

I'm in Oregon, where it rains.  A lot.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

sav0r

It definitely depends on the steel your pipes are made of. A lot of my MX bike pipes hardly ever needed cleaning. My DG's don't hold up. The blow by at the flanges doesn't help, even with modified flanges it takes work.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

pdxjim

It's true.

This is after a few years of use.

The high heat areas at the downpipes and stingers burn in to dark brown, and the blowby oil turns black and crusty after a while.

They could def use a clean and recoat, but I just don't care that much.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

AAAltered

I've done the Mop-N-Glow on raw steel, it's a good look and fairly low maintenance.  I also tried "chrome-ish" ceramic coating.  I didn't particularly like it after three years, it stained etc and couldn't be cleaned up.  I ended up hitting those with barbecue paint....

Mop and Glow (freshly done)

Mop and Glow (cooked in)

Fresh Ceramic Coat:

Same pipes painted over:

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Plasticman

+1 on Mop and Glo.  That's what I do on my racing RD400.  Adds no weight over bare metal, lasts all season.

Chrome is probably best, or if you are cheap like me, wire wheel them each spring and then mop and glow them.
[/quote]

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)