Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD custom upper triple clamp for pattern : Photos fixed 4 views

Started by DesmoDrew, April 04, 2021, 10:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesmoDrew

I'm not sure if that's a good title or not. Anyway, this was the last MG custom triple clamp from Moto Carrera. Click the link for images. Doug sold it to me several years ago. All of the "custom" triple clamps available now are flat, and, in my opinion, are ugly and under engineered.
   So what I am suggesting/offering, is if anyone has the equipment and ability to copy this and make more, I will loan this one to any qualified individual.  I am not a machinist, so I do not know what would be involved.  I do know there are machines which can make 3-D scans of an item and replicate them. But I don't know if anyone on this forum has that type of equipment available to them or not.
   If anyone is interested, just send me a PM. I would expect my triple clamp
back within a reasonable amount of time, and would require fully refundable deposit before shipping it out. 

https://ibb.co/album/FnQcv0

85RZwade

I'm not your man, but I wish I was. I think I know who can do it, and I hope he steps up...it's an honor to be nominated, right?
That's a beautiful part, and I hope you get some made!
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

You could try Tractec or Cognito Moto. They already make the flat RD triples, so it may be easier for him to change the design up a bit. I have seen places that will do one off triples, but usually for close to $1,000

https://tractechmfg.com/
https://cognitomoto.com/collections/triple-clamps_handlebars_controls?page=3

sav0r

Machining triple clamps is actually quite hard. The bores for the tubes have to be extremely concentric from the top clamp to the bottom clamp. Reverse engineering them and then machining them certainly introduces even further challenges. For a racing bike, the top and the bottom clamps should be matched, IMO, so that concentricity is as close as possible. This triple looks like at least five setups are required to complete it on a standard 3 axis machine, i.e. expensive to make. Given the various geometries it looks like the part is cast, machined, then polished? On a five axis machine the part could be done fairly quickly, but it's going to be pricy to get setup.

There's a reason why most billet triple clamps are flat...
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

rodneya

stresa

Hi,
over 10 years ago a friend of mine did a few batchs of cast TZ lookalike top clamps for the aircooled RD forks. After casting he machined them for the 34mm and 35mm RD forks just as someone wanted it. Not sure if he do or is able to do that anymore but I can ask him.

My son in law did a few CMC machined yokes for TZ's. Like the black one in the pic. He has the program to do the top clamp also. I can ask him if he can do some and if how much the would cost.

Regards Uwe
81 Jackson Special 250, 2x 74 Yamaha RD250 racer + 1 street racer, 78 Yamaha RD400, 72 R5/RD350, 74 RD250 dirttracker street, 75 Yapol TZ250, 89 Honda RS125,
80 Hejira TM250, RD375/3, 77 Höpfner-TD3, 76 RD/TD3,
74 Yamaha TZ/RD250A, 78 Siroko TZ250, 75 Bakker TZ350B, Tomic 200, Waddon Rotax125

Bryan H

Still got mine Uwe. Sadly the bike's no further on than it was 10 years ago  :( :(

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

stresa

Quote from: Bryan H on April 05, 2021, 02:54:40 PM
Still got mine Uwe. Sadly the bike's no further on than it was 10 years ago  :( :(

Hi Bryan,
nice to hear from you. Your clamp was one of five or six which went to the UK back then.
I know these feelings when builds didn't come along as planned. How is your 3-clinder project? I started a new one now based on a TZ engine...... :whistle:
Regards Uwe

81 Jackson Special 250, 2x 74 Yamaha RD250 racer + 1 street racer, 78 Yamaha RD400, 72 R5/RD350, 74 RD250 dirttracker street, 75 Yapol TZ250, 89 Honda RS125,
74 Yamaha TZ/RD250A, 78 Siroko TZ250, 75 Bakker TZ350B, Tomic 200, Waddon Rotax125

Dvsrd

FWIW, what is gained with a custom upper triple, except cleaner looks when using clip-ons?
The stock one is pretty light anyway.
Wouldn't a beefier, aluminium lower triple and steering stem be both lighter and stiffer!

MotoLanna has a complete set for the 35 mm SR500 and 400. These are a lot lighter than the stock RD setup.

DesmoDrew

Quote from: Dvsrd on April 05, 2021, 07:58:14 PM
FWIW, what is gained with a custom upper triple, except cleaner looks when using clip-ons?

Yep.  That's the reason

Bryan H

Quote from: stresa on April 05, 2021, 04:15:43 PM
Quote from: Bryan H on April 05, 2021, 02:54:40 PM

Hi Bryan,
nice to hear from you. Your clamp was one of five or six which went to the UK back then.
I know these feelings when builds didn't come along as planned. How is your 3-clinder project? I started a new one now based on a TZ engine...... :whistle:
Regards Uwe

Hi Uwe
Despite my best efforts to save them, in frustration I took a grinder to the crankcases on the 3 cylinder project as they were poorly engineered, poorly welded and leaked like a sieve  :bang: Needless to say I'm on the lookout for another set  :help:

m in sc

I just modified the stock one for the lightweight. even has factory lightening holes.  :dawg:  cut offf wheel, flap wheel and a bunch of sanding and a coat of caliper paint. if you note, the clamp holes were drilled out  and tapped to accept 10mm TI bolts (no nuts). upper bolt is TI with an aluminum washer, tapped into top of cut down tree stem . adding lightness.  :devil:

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on April 06, 2021, 02:58:05 PM
I just modified the stock one for the lightweight. even has factory lightening holes.  :dawg:  cut offf wheel, flap wheel and a bunch of sanding and a coat of caliper paint. if you note, the clamp holes were drilled out  and tapped to accept 10mm TI bolts (no nuts). upper bolt is TI with an aluminum washer, tapped into top of cut down tree stem . adding lightness

Neat!

stresa

Quote from: m in sc on April 06, 2021, 02:58:05 PM
I just modified the stock one for the lightweight. even has factory lightening holes.  :dawg:  cut offf wheel, flap wheel and a bunch of sanding and a coat of caliper paint. if you note, the clamp holes were drilled out  and tapped to accept 10mm TI bolts (no nuts). upper bolt is TI with an aluminum washer, tapped into top of cut down tree stem . adding lightness.  :devil:

Hi Mark,
this is what we did before we got the opportunity of the TZ replica clamps for our race bikes. Your solution I had on a few of my street bikes also.
Some of us welded the holes and sanded it that it even look a bit like TZ clamps.
We never did it for lightness only. Just to get the look as a TZ.
Regards Uwe