News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Chef Boy-RD400 Project

Started by The Red Scourge, May 13, 2019, 10:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

Seems to me that the emulator springs are rather heavy, which males sense for an XS650 which weighs close to 500 lbs wet in stock condition.  Those emulator springs definitely are much beefier than the springs on the RT emulators I have on my 350. You may experience more high speed compression damping than you anticipated.

rodneya

I finally found out why people call their RD's Chef Boy. From the crappy canned ravioli by Chef Boyardee. Who wouda thought

JB Weld

Quote from: rodneya on June 19, 2020, 02:50:13 PM
I finally found out why people call their RD's Chef Boy. From the crappy canned ravioli by Chef Boyardee. Who wouda thought

I never saw that until this thread! Wow, I've sure been living under a rock...

The Red Scourge

Quote from: JB Weld on June 19, 2020, 08:13:11 PM
Quote from: rodneya on June 19, 2020, 02:50:13 PM

I never saw that until this thread! Wow, I've sure been living under a rock...

Hahaha!  I saw it in an old British motorcycle magazine article.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

The Red Scourge

Hey all.  I'm looking for some feedback on the look I have going on here.  Forum member 1976RD400C hooked me up with some awesome fiberglass parts a while ago.  The batch includes this Airtech Don Vesco Big Butt seat.  I love the look of it, but against the 400 tank the seat looks so big!  I'll be mounting a Dunstall 1/4 fairing as well.  I haven't gotten around to mocking that up yet.  It's possible the fairing will balance out the look.  What do y'all think?  Seat too big?  Just right?  Thanks in advance!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

Kawtriplefreak

85RZwade

I think the fairing will bring balance
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

That seat unit looks to be part of a set inc tank......the stock tank is too small for it alone, maybe offer up the fairing (or a cardboard mock up?) to see if it balances?

As the unit is f/glass, you could section it down 2-3" so it's level with the tank?

Organicjedi

It might look more balanced with the bigger more square Euro 400 or later Euro 250 tanks.

It will look fine as is though especially with a fairing.

The Red Scourge

Thanks for the input y'all!

Quote from: NoRiders on July 17, 2020, 05:55:53 AM
As the unit is f/glass, you could section it down 2-3" so it's level with the tank?

Do you mean essentially lowering the seat?
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

The Red Scourge

I mocked up the Dunstall fairing and it looks good with the big ol' seat.  I always forget to take pictures!  I'm working on a mount, another new adventure for me.  I'm basically just copying Airtech's mount.  For most people, the $210 for their's would be a good deal.  I've already spent many hours on it.  I'm learning to weld, so it's been fun.  Here are a few pics of the mount so far and my terrible looking welds.  I did get good penetration though.  The bracket will mount to the frame with hose clamps for now.  I wanted to weld a lug onto the frame, but it'd likely cover the frame serial number, and I didn't want to do that.  More to come!
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR