Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

'73 RD350 "Grape Ape" restore

Started by Cam, February 13, 2019, 01:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cam

I picked this up about a year ago, a little work has turned into a "restoration" that is still in progress. Not a OEM restoration but it will look stock with reliability upgrades. I took pics for my own reference but I can post them here if anyone is interested. The story was that it sat for 20-30 years in the basement of a NAPA store before it was bought from the guy who sold it to me. He left it as it was, and I'm glad he did as I would find out later. This is the condition as I found it:

SoCal250

Were those handlebars on it when you got it? Those are huge!

Nice score. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Cam

Yes, that's exactly the way it came! I still have the bars lying around. The cables were longer than stock but they had stretched the switch harnesses out of the headlight bucket.

Organicjedi

Leave the apes and sissy bar then hard tail it.  :haw:

Seizer

Quote from: Organicjedi on February 13, 2019, 04:13:30 PM

Thank you for the legitimate belly laugh.

Gill

Please share pictures of the work carried out.
Those handle bars are boon in hot weather for underarms. :haw:

Cam

Quote from: Organicjedi on February 13, 2019, 04:13:30 PM
That's always an option!  :haw: :haw:

More pics as I got it, not bad overall:

Cam

Cam

Sorry if these pics aren't the greatest, they were just for my reference. Grass in the slide was one reason I'm glad the PO didn't run it! Parts of the harness and frame were spray-bombed black decades ago.

2 Stroke Jamoke

Hears an excellent trick for the rusty inside of the tank. Go to home depot and look in the paint/cleaner section. Look for a product called prep n etch. It's for concrete prepping. Its basically a phosphoric acid solution and it will eat the rust out in no time. It will actually eat the whole tank! It's easy to use though,  just plug your tank holes, put about half the jug in and shake it! I left my tank sit on one side for 10 mins, then the other, and so on. Vigorous shaking helps, you will see the bare metal come through.  Make sure you neutralize the acid with a baking soda/warm water mix afterwards. I had excellent results! Good luck

teazer

Brandy Red.  Great color but the clear coating flakes off.  I have one in the shop right now for engine rebuild.

Cam

Quote from: 2 Stroke Jamoke on February 14, 2019, 05:56:07 PM
Hears an excellent trick for the rusty inside of the tank. Go to home depot and look in the paint/cleaner section. Look for a product called prep n etch. It's for concrete prepping. Its basically a phosphoric acid solution and it will eat the rust out in no time. It will actually eat the whole tank! It's easy to use though,  just plug your tank holes, put about half the jug in and shake it! I left my tank sit on one side for 10 mins, then the other, and so on. Vigorous shaking helps, you will see the bare metal come through.  Make sure you neutralize the acid with a baking soda/warm water mix afterwards. I had excellent results! Good luck

I've already got the tank done, but that's a great idea. I have a few other tanks I'll try this method out on. The bike is about 90% done, I thought i'd post my progress from the beginning up to now. Worked on bikes for years but this is my first full blown "restore", and it's been a great learning process. If anything it's tested my patience!

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Kawtriplefreak

Plus one on electrolysis. I used it on my 75 RD tank several years ago with great success.

Cam

Teardown and starting to re-hab parts.