News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Fresh Seat

Started by Czakky, August 15, 2019, 01:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

Thanks for the input oil burner.

2t Fan

Quote from: 2t Fan on February 08, 2020, 03:41:04 AM
Also texavina.com
i was told, they are ready to make OE replica if you have the trim

Czakky

I should see what they can do, thanks.

jmendoza

To remove the trim, you have to take off the little rectangular metal clips that are pushed onto the pins, look inside under the seat to see them.  Once they are all off, the trim will come off by gently pushing the pins  at the front of the seat out, and work back towards the rear.  Then once you have  the pins out the trim will be free and you will notice the pins have heads on them that slide in a groove in the trim. There are a couple places where the groove is wider and the pins can be slid to those areas and removed if you so desire to do so.

Once you remove the trim, then you can bend up the barbs to remove the old seat cover. With the new cover in place (do it on a warm sunny day to make the vinyl cover stretch easily) you can use an awl to poke new holes in the cover for the trim piece pins and then fit the trim back on and finally press the rectangular clips onto the trim pins( I use a 1/4" nut driver to do that).

I like the seat covers from Pit Perspective, very good fit, proper heat molded seams and vinyl texture pattern, good silks-screening of the logo on the back, and nice foam padding on the inside. IMHO, the reproduction seats with a large bulge at the back to imitate a rear cowl look funky and odd, they just do not match the look and style of the rest of the bike and seem out of place.  To me, they create a clash in styling that is distracting, but I'm a purist because I remember these bikes back when they were new and 1st came out, so others may not feel the way I do about it. .
Seizure Later!

CT1-C,RD200B,RD400C,RZ350N,RZ250FII
3 ea KT 100S

Czakky

I definitely appreciate the original look as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

motulman

Quote from: jmendoza on April 06, 2020, 10:22:16 PM
To remove the trim, you have to take off the little rectangular metal clips that are pushed onto the pins, look inside under the seat to see them.  Once they are all off, the trim will come off by gently pushing the pins  at the front of the seat out, and work back towards the rear.  Then once you have  the pins out the trim will be free and you will notice the pins have heads on them that slide in a groove in the trim. There are a couple places where the groove is wider and the pins can be slid to those areas and removed if you so desire to do so.

Once you remove the trim, then you can bend up the barbs to remove the old seat cover. With the new cover in place (do it on a warm sunny day to make the vinyl cover stretch easily) you can use an awl to poke new holes in the cover for the trim piece pins and then fit the trim back on and finally press the rectangular clips onto the trim pins( I use a 1/4" nut driver to do that).

I like the seat covers from Pit Perspective, very good fit, proper heat molded seams and vinyl texture pattern, good silks-screening of the logo on the back, and nice foam padding on the inside. IMHO, the reproduction seats with a large bulge at the back to imitate a rear cowl look funky and odd, they just do not match the look and style of the rest of the bike and seem out of place.  To me, they create a clash in styling that is distracting, but I'm a purist because I remember these bikes back when they were new and 1st came out, so others may not feel the way I do about it. .
wow jmendoza i havent talked to you and quite a spell, thanks for your help years ago. i agree with this post and thanks for the input. i might even still have your phone number lol

2 Smoker

Quote from: Oil Burner on February 21, 2020, 09:20:34 PM
Quote from: Organicjedi on February 11, 2020, 04:16:19 PM
I've been impressed with Texavina's selection, quality and customer service... and prices!

Agreed. I initially ordered a seat from Texavina and there was a considerable gap at the tank. I e-mailed them and they sent out a new seat that fit perfect at no charge, and never even asked for the old one back! Foam is a little firm.

Now I just need to get my tank painted  :vroom:
The seat and R5 look great and cant wait to see the paint on it.
  Where did you purchase your rear shocks.

2 Smoker

Quote from: jmendoza on April 06, 2020, 10:22:16 PM

How are you Jay" it has been awhile, Cooks corner I believe, also miss those rides up GMR to Baldy. Do you have a link to the seat reproduction company Pit Perspective" I did a search and it did not pop up.

Dvsrd

Does anyone know how much lower/ thinner the 1973 RD350 seat foam was, compared to the 74 and 75? I think the lower/ thinner seat just looks so much better.