Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

78rd400 trans?

Started by Stoked2smoke, October 28, 2022, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoked2smoke

Going through a new used transmission I received for my 78rd400 and only issue besides needing new bearings is that the Mainshaft 4th gear pinion (24t) spins but has drag. Is that normal. It's not like a bad bearing type of drag it just needs force to spin unlike the Mainshaft 6th gear pinion (27t) which I can spin with a push of a finger. The gear in question is #2 in the picture and using # 7 for a reference. Thanks in advance.

rodneya

Probably a good idea to take all the gears off the shaft and check whats going on  in there.

Stoked2smoke

Will take apart and check all components.  Tried uploading a vid of it but it's the wrong format and My YouTube account was high Jacked by my son. Any tips for uploading videos on here with a Apple phone.

Stoked2smoke

Took apart and inspected. Shafts and gears look fine. Thrust washers are in good condition. I see that the gear in question has oil grooves cut into it and has a tighter clearance fitting on the shaft. The RD bible doesn't talk about that gear specifically but I am saying it's normal until told differently.

rodneya

Clean everything up really well. There may have been some crap or old dirty oil in there.

Stoked2smoke

Quote from: rodneya on October 31, 2022, 02:11:25 AM
Clean everything up really well. There may have been some crap or old dirty oil in there.
Perfect preparation prevents poor performance :vroom:

rodneya

I finally found the 400 trans I have in my parts stash. The 4th pinion gear definitely has more drag than the other gear. This trans has not been in a running engine in well over 20 years, but it is fairly clean and the other gears spin easily.

Stoked2smoke

Quote from: rodneya on October 31, 2022, 11:50:33 PM
I finally found the 400 trans I have in my parts stash. The 4th pinion gear definitely has more drag than the other gear. This trans has not been in a running engine in well over 20 years, but it is fairly clean and the other gears spin easily.
Good to hear. I am going to clean it all up and get new bearings on it. Should be good to go then. Thanks for looking into it for me.

Vintagetz

There are different thicknesses of thrust washers, I believe there is a spec. for the side clearance, you can feeler gauge it and make sure it is not under spec (I don't have the numbers)