Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

To expansion pipe or not?

Started by bheezy27403, October 21, 2021, 09:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motodreams

Pipes have always made the biggest difference for me but i've been messing with LC stuff that likely has better ignition in place than the RD.  Get Garrett's pipes.  They're going to be better.  Not sue why you would spend on the swingarm when you can get pipes + ignition for that much?  Many pipes are going to get you better power across the band despite max power being higher (obv exceptions).

bheezy27403

Quote from: motodreams on October 22, 2021, 03:51:48 PM
Pipes have always made the biggest difference for me but i've been messing with LC stuff that likely has better ignition in place than the RD.  Get Garrett's pipes.  They're going to be better.  Not sue why you would spend on the swingarm when you can get pipes + ignition for that much?  Many pipes are going to get you better power across the band despite max power being higher (obv exceptions).

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do the ignition and then make the call on the pipes. As for the swingarm, I've had a couple RD's in boxes I've been trying to get put back together and have always fancied an Al piece.

bheezy27403

I want to thank everyone for the replies. Seems to be a good group. I'll be back with more questions I'm sure.

RDFL

Quote from: 85RZwade on October 21, 2021, 05:49:45 PM
:jacked: 'Kay, so he says he needs 3-4 pre-orders to sit down at the welder. Let's get on this, folks; I know who has 350s, so don't make me name names  :help:
Does it have to be for 350, would think not only slight mounting difference and manifolds.

85RZwade

I'll ask; I hope not, as my buddy signed on for a 400 set
I post waayyy too much

bheezy27403

Is there a link to this "Garrett" fellas website?

RDFL

sav0r

The swingarm is almost all bling, and not much else. Maybe if you go an inch longer, okay, there's a bit of improvement in the anti-wheelie department. But wheelies are fun.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

I sent hima message on his website contact form to put me down for one set of 350 pipes. So.... mayhaps he'll build them? :D

85RZwade

That's 3 pre-orders that I count  :love eyes:
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

RDryan

I was one of the suckers who paid about $500 for a set of new DG's to mount on my RD250B. In my defense they were still some of the cheapest readily available chambers for our bikes. However I had to learn the hard way. These pipes are way to loud with no real power benefit for my bike as far as I can see. Sound cool at idle and just ripping thru the gears for the first ten minutes and then get annoying with more riding at least in my opinion. I did have to lose the centerstand and I spent another I dunno 80 or $90 bucks on a fancy side stand relocating bracket with a bad return spring that I resolved by combining half of it with half of the original spring, it was from HVC Cycles (Economy Cycles competitor). Lastly I lost a lot of ground clearance with the chambers that I actually find kinda useful as I do sometimes take the bike just a bit off road around my yard so yeah I put some minor dents in it. What I found is that I like the look of the stock pipes better and the other thing is if your not gonna invest in some rearsets $$$ which are spendy then the chambers will look terribly out of place with the stock footpegs and bracket. Oh and I really do miss my centerstand. So I am actually reverting back to stock. Just acquired a spare centerstand and spring and ditto for the side stand and it's spring to replace with. Part of the reason why I took a chance with the chambers was my original center stand had one foot rotted out so it needed to be replaced anyways, curiosity too about chambers and also I was just happy to throw stupid money at my bike in the dead of winter with nothing else to spend it on. For example I have no kids or girlfriend :rolleyes: :whistle:

Czakky

Bummer Ryan. I've never ran DGs but have ran pipes on an R5 that likely make similar power. I'd say that minus the center stand and/or side stand mods that you'd be hard pressed on a 4t to get these gains from a freaking pipe though... All things being equal I'd have a set of Spec 2s over DGs but if a centerstand is crucial, JL retros are available for cheap from time to time.
DGs= JL retros for performance
Spec 2>DGs for similar price... Graham's pipes might be even better for similar price as well...

m in sc

I spent a good amount of time today on my 72 with pipelynes and vape w Zeel. so good .