Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Clutch pull

Started by Czakky, April 10, 2020, 10:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I've had this annoying issue on my R5 since I've had it. The clutch pull is pretty brutal, like it can't be right. I'm a blue collar guy that uses my hands all day and this thing wears me out in a few miles. My 10 spring Guzzi cable clutch is a breeze next to this thing.
The problem is the same with a new bushing, lever, NOS cable, OEM springs, slightly under spec original springs, the current 50/50 OEM and HD RD400 springs, 350 and current 400 basket and two different cable routes.
I've got the R5 clutch perch and CB400f bars (narrow with a very slight rise) which I'd like to keep.
My current cable route is between the gauges to the right of the headstock and crossover gently to the left side.
What am I left with? How do you guys route your cable?

m in sc

the worm screw in the cover is where id look.

Czakky

With no tension it turns free and easy. Does that tell you anything?

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on April 10, 2020, 11:05:40 AM
the worm screw in the cover is where id look.

Also, ensure the clutch push rod isn't bent. But, when's the last time you lubed the cable? Mine gets progressively harder if I don't lube it every so often. Cheap cable, so it comes with the territory.

Czakky

Brand new pushrod (no change from original), cable was just lubed...

Striker1423

How's the clutch handle or the bushing on the bolt? Put a little grease on those as well.

I routed my clutch cable down the left side of the neck of the bike, over the top tube of the frame on the left and down. The cable would pull bad if I routed it to the right.

Czakky

Thanks Striker, I'll try that route

m in sc

Quote from: Czakky on April 10, 2020, 11:12:03 AM
With no tension it turns free and easy. Does that tell you anything?

not really. they can crack (the outer part in the cover), and then they spread under load causing a lot of friction.  :twocents: kaw triples are NOTORIOUS for this, but the inner is nylon.

Czakky

Czakky

I took apart the snail(?) and thoroughly checked it again cleaned it up and greased it. Re-routed my cable back to how I had it and went with Chuck's recommendation of the tri-flow. I would gladly say a 25-35% improvement. Makes her much more enjoyable to ride. I can hang on much better now. :vroom:

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: Czakky on May 07, 2020, 07:15:41 PM
I took apart the snail(?) and thoroughly checked it again cleaned it up and greased it. Re-routed my cable back to how I had it and went with Chuck's recommendation of the tri-flow. I would gladly say a 25-35% improvement. Makes her much more enjoyable to ride. I can hang on much better now. :vroom:

Good cable, good clutch lever/perch and Tri-flow cable lube is a must!
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

whymee

Quote from: SUPERTUNE on May 07, 2020, 09:51:51 PM
Quote from: Czakky on May 07, 2020, 07:15:41 PM

Good cable, good clutch lever/perch and Tri-flow cable lube is a must!
C

Chuck:

Do you lube new cables?  Asking for a friend...   ;)

SUPERTUNE

Always lube a new cable...with Tri-Flow
C

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com