News:

Neat little oddball bike, zero info.

Main Menu

350 vs 400 transmission

Started by Czakky, October 26, 2019, 09:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I'm about to get started on my RD350/R5 project and am torn on what to do for my transmission. RD350 or RD400...
I've been recommended both.

What's your guys' experience?

SUPERTUNE

No question...400 gear set.
Yamaha learned, Use their example.
No reason to look for performance and go backwards.
No one I know that has a slight idea of the gear ratio spreads would recommend the 350 ratios.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Czakky

How will a 17/40 sprocket combo work with a 400 trans?

Jspooner

17 countershaft is too big for a 350 no matter which trans you use. You're going to want a 14 or 15 most likely depending on what you do to your motor. But like Chuck says, use the 400. It's the only way to go especially with a hot rod motor.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Czakky

Yup, the 400 trans is in. So looking at gearingcommander.com it shows the RD400 with 14/40 sprockets running 76mph at 7500rpm.

What is an okay cruising RPM?
I'm not trying run to Cali or anything but I'm trying to keep a decent balance.

This is on a stg2 Supertune with Spec 2 classics.

Organicjedi

RPMs are high for my taste at that speed for a 400.

My stg 1 supertuned 400 with Spec II classics and 15/39 gearing is at about 75mph at about 6500 in 6th. It's plenty rowdy off the line but still has room at the top to "comfortably" cruise and pass at freeway speeds. Cause we all know how comfortable 80mph feels on a naked 350lbs bike. (We're not riding goldwings) :devil: but I don't have to wring it out to get and stay there.

You'd probably want more revs from a 350 motor though

bhh1989

Don't forget you have to also get the 400 clutch hub if you are buying just a transmission. The splines on the shaft are different between 350 and 400.

Czakky

Got it. Installed and ready for the power side!

SUPERTUNE

When using the 400 clutch hub, you will need to grind down some ribbing under the clutch cover to clear the 400 clutch.
I have some pics somewhere. I think I have them on my phone I can download later.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com