Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400 Primary Gear

Started by Czakky, July 19, 2020, 11:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I've been on gearingcommander.com trying to get an idea of what my R5/RD350/400/XS-1 with different sprockets.

Just for the record it's RD350 top end/crank RD400 transmission with XS-1 speedo drive on a XS-1 drum with 18" wheels

I got to thinking with my RD350 crank is this the same gear as the RD400?

Jspooner

It's not the same gear but the number of teeth is the same. There is something different about the cut of the gear that makes them not interchangeable. You are running an RD400 trans which does have different ratios for 4th thru 6th than an RD350 trans which will change what you might want for your final drive gearing.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Czakky

Thanks joe. I'm just trying to see how off my speedo is. The XS had a 19" front wheel, I have an 18 on it now. It really isn't off by much 10% or so. :metal:

old-man

I saw no place to start a new topic. So.... My RD400C service manual instructs me to bolt together the cases and then tighten the crank gear nut with something soft between clutch and crank gears. To me, I worry about doing damage to the gears, bearings, cases or the shafts. Why not tighten the crank nut while holding the crank with a clutch holding tool before putting the cases together?

dgorms

Quote from: old-man on February 05, 2023, 03:29:24 PM
I saw no place to start a new topic. So.... My RD400C service manual instructs me to bolt together the cases and then tighten the crank gear nut with something soft between clutch and crank gears. To me, I worry about doing damage to the gears, bearings, cases or the shafts. Why not tighten the crank nut while holding the crank with a clutch holding tool before putting the cases together?
use a penny.
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

kpke

Quote from: dgorms on February 05, 2023, 08:11:43 PM
Quote from: old-man on February 05, 2023, 03:29:24 PM
use a penny.

I use 2 pennies stacked. :twocents: Have them in a drawer and have reused them several times.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158