Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Ebay sales issue - advice

Started by SoCal250, December 09, 2022, 05:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal250

I have an issue on eBay that I've not dealt with in all the years that I've been active on the site. What would you guys do in this case?
I sold a $60 item and shipped it across the country last Sat. It has not arrived and the customer is asking me to give him a full refund and refund his shipping. WTH? I never guaranteed that it would arrive on time. I don't really want to eat $30+   Below are the details...

Dec 02  Item sold
Dec 03  Shipped USPS Priority at the post office (less than 24 hrs after payment rec'd)
   (Ship cost was over $30 because it was an oversize item, weighs 5lbs, and it was going all the way to the other coast.)
Dec 06  USPS delivery ETA

Currently USPS tracking shows: "Moving Through Network - In Transit, Arriving Late"
Last update on Dec 07.

Dec 08 -- buyer sent a message stating it hadn't arrived and it's late. He said he needs the item and wants it delivered. I apologized for the delay and explained that I can't control the postal service.
Dec 09 -- buyer said item must be lost and he wants me to recall it from USPS and he is expecting a full refund including shipping.  Received a 2nd message from him stating "Please recall your item and refund the complete payment including shipping"

Not sure what I should do about an overdue USPS item that's a couple days late. I mean it is the holiday season after all.

I try to do my best and go above and beyond for my customers.
I have 100% and over 780 feedback on eBay. I always try to ship next day (or even same day). I even refund some of the shipping cost if eBay calculates too much for a transaction. Which I did in this case, giving him $5 back.
And I always send a message to each buyer thanking them for the purchase and let them know what time their package was handed off at the post office (or FedEx) counter and provide them the tracking number.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

cant be held accountable for what usps does. i ran into this years ago with a guy in Germany, was a few days late and he reported me. I called ebay/paypal and they took care of it for me. just watch the tracking and ignore him for a few more days. i mean, its been 7 days. if it was that important he would have requested overnight guaranteed. sounds like he trying to back out for another reason. fuck him.   

rlgrantjr

The USPS taking longer than folks expect is just how it is now.  The tracking number is still saying in transit, so I would not issue a refund.  It's not like you can tell USPS to bring it back.  It will eventually show up at the buyers address and you'll be out the cost of the item and shipping.  I would think USPS has some sort of process for determining when an item is truly lost.  Until that happens, no refund.

rodneya

Only times I have got a refund after the delivery estimate had passed was if the tracking showed an issue or had clearly not moved for a long time.

SoCal250

It gets better. He now says that because it didn't arrive on 12/06 he wants to cancel the transaction and he wants a FULL refund. He said he purchased a similar one from another source.

•  I never promised on time arrival. Neither did the post office.
•  He never asked me if it would arrive on time, or if I guaranteed on time delivery.
•  He purchased on Friday 12/02 and the listing clearly stated that the seller has a Handling Time of "3-business days" before shipping. Meaning that it would not have arrived by Tues 12/06 in the first place.
•  The listing clearly states:  "Returns Not accepted. (Unless item does not match the listing description)"

I tried to file a Missing Mail inquiry with USPS but I got a message stating that not enough days have passed and the item is still moving through the system. Please retry at a later date.

From the start I've felt like telling him to pound sand. I'm still leaning that way but trying to be polite about it.
Some people are just idiots! And there seems to be many more around these days.

rodneya

Some people just want to try get stuff for free.
Did he message you direct or file a claim for a refund through ebay?

hayduke

Yeah, pound sand is the right answer, until USPS gives up on it. He's just trying to get you to 'be a good guy' and cancel the order betting it'll show up in a day or two after he gets his money back. Or he's just a stupid jerk.

SoCal250

Quote from: rodneya on December 09, 2022, 07:56:16 PM
Some people just want to try get stuff for free.
Did he message you direct or file a claim for a refund through ebay?
He messaged me direct. So it's clear he's trying to work the system and get something free.

I'm getting really sick of idiot buyers on eBay. It's almost not worth it anymore. And eBay now takes 12.9% off the top.
I have another sale that's still pending because the buyer in India has not paid yet after a week and 4 invoice requests for payment. Tomorrow I will cancel that transaction. I'm averaging about 1-2 deadbeat buyers a month. :bang:

sav0r

I hate to say it, but stop selling stuff on eBay. They basically have a 100% rate of buyer protection. That's great right up until you sell something perfectly fine then the buyer decides to screw you on it. It happens. I sold a processor, the dude said it didn't work (it worked fine), he got a refund and a return. Cool, I would have tested it and just resold. He sent me a block of wood (an actual block of wood) and kept the processor. eBay refused to do anything about it.

Get your stuff back, even if it costs you. Sell it or keep it. Leave eBay for good unless you want to buy. That is just the nature of the game these days. Facebook Marketplace has been pretty good for me. I set up the deal on marketplace, then I do most of my trading/sales in person at the local 7-11. I grab a beer at the local brewery after. It works well.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

SoCal250

Facebook? :rolleyes: No thanks! That would entail joining FB which opens up a whole other list of negatives.

sav0r

When Facebook first started you had to be a university student to join, and in fact, my university was one of the first 7 to get it as sort of a beta test. So I have been a member since 2004.

Facebook is awful in many ways , but it's not that bad if you use it the right way. And marketplace is way better than Craigslist because there is at least some accountability.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

soonerbillz

I quit selling on Ebay about a year or so ago.
I only use it for purchases.  Too many people scamming sellers and Ebay will absolutely not protect you.
FB Marketplace was good for a while but now that the gubernate has put that $600 tax reporting I'm done. Ain't paying them tax for stuff I already probably paid on.
So Craigslist or word of mouth and cash only!
Yell the buy to fuck off is my advice and wait to see if it shows up.

Hawaii-Mike

Like SavOr said, quit selling on E-bay.  I buy lots of parts on E-bay but the hassles and the costs don't make a great deal. 

A year or two ago I sold a set of Mikuni 29mm smoothbores on E-bay for around $1,000.  No problem with shipping but the charges between E-bay and Paypal were nearly $200.

Striker1423

eBay doesn't always protect buyers. I got screwed on a $250 RD dash that was twisted, and broken. Wasn't disclosed as such in the listing. Was just "as is". Guy refused even a partial refund then blocked me from buying through him, or communicating to him either. Machivmotors in Wisconsin sucks ass, just an FYI.

pdxjim

I send my buyers a pic of the shipping label, the package on the "pre-paid" desk at the post office, and of the receipt with tracking number.

What happens after that ain't my problem.

... in a perfect world.  But like you, Russ, I bend over backwards to make sure my buyers feel taken care of.  Unfortunately tho, sometimes shit goes sideways and it's damage control after that.

You know the package is gonna arrive just as soon as you issue a refund.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A