Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Spec2 or jl pipes for ported rd400

Started by RustyRD, July 16, 2022, 11:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

I have a set of spec2 f1 pipes on my 350. I am building a 400 now, anyone have any experience with jl pipes. Carbs will be tm34 and John Ritter porting and head work

m in sc

i have both on 2 separate bikes and run both.

IF you like the way the specII's run on the 350, you'll like them on the 400. I have personally never had the tuning issues some have had with the J&Ls, but they def tune differently than the specII's. close, but def slightly different. these are both on ported motors as well. My opinion is that the specII's def feel 'crisper' in the mids but thats not to say the j&ls don't pull well, they def do in the mods.., just feels (comes in) different, smoothe rin my opinion, not the big hit 'feel' the specII's have. Both are also running big carbs. .02

RustyRD

Thanks for the input, when I ordered the spec2 Gary had injuries his shoulder and it took about two months to get the pipes.. I guess part of the research is for a backup plan Incase of availability issues. That's assuming the JL are in stock😬😬.  I have to admit the JL are great looking.   But I love the look of the F1 that I have.   Tuning was what I had heard from Chuck on the JL

1976RD400C

I put an antique set of Pipelyne? exhausts, that have tapered head pipes, on my John Ritter ported, 34 mm carbs, RZ sized single petal reed motor. Wait till you get a load of how of how that runs.  :eek:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

RustyRD

You guys are getting all excited about getting put all back together.  The goal is 55-60 HP , so John is prepping the top end for that goal. Thanks for the input

Hawaii-Mike

Quote from: RustyRD on July 17, 2022, 10:40:18 AM
Thanks for the input, when I ordered the spec2 Gary had injuries his shoulder and it took about two months to get the pipes.. I guess part of the research is for a backup plan Incase of availability issues. That's assuming the JL are in stock😬😬.  I have to admit the JL are great looking.   But I love the look of the F1 that I have.   Tuning was what I had heard from Chuck on the JL
Two months for a set of pipes from Gary is pretty quick if you ask me!  I ordered H2 pipes from him years ago and it probably took six months.  I like his products but if you're in a hurry try someone else.

RustyRD

I really am not in a hurry, and I like the F1s. I kinda want to run a different set of pipes. I just watched a video tour of JL pipes being made and really like the look. I know Gary's work well and I am leaning towards the F1 again. The JL just look so good, but what I have researched so far leads me to believe that the JL is more of a high rpm narrower band .  the F1 will realistically be the better choice for me. 55 + HP is the goal. Thanks for your input   

m in sc

thats a myth, they make plenty of midrange. Just needs to be tuned for it.  :twocents:

RustyRD

Mark thanks for the input , I have always wondered about the accuracy of such comments. Air-cooled club was where the last post of that comment was that I read. I would like to have different pipes on these two bikes.  you know variety is the spice :haw: