Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Can anyone help me out with a Dyna S Vintage Smoke kit

Started by oldguyRD1964, May 25, 2023, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguyRD1964

I bought a kit from Nick years ago, bike hasn't ran for 4 years now, I lost the little manual he sent and wondered if anyone can share a copy with me. 73 rd250 his kit worked but I had to have someone else figure it out but they never gave the paperwork back to me.

Thank you if you can help me out.

m in sc

AAAltered

As far as I could tell, there weren't good instructions ever published.  Nick *did* (for some reason) publish "European RD400" docs, which may help.  Also, they aren't that complicated so like Mark said...

http://vintagesmoke.com/vsmedia/European-Australian-RD400-Dyna-Instructions-05.05.13.doc

Also it's been discussed here a few times...
https://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=2562.0
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

oldguyRD1964

Okay I downloaded the RD400 instructions those look like what they sent to me, I'm not some expert especially on ignitions and since I haven't touched my bike in 2-3 years now, I wanted a refresher... When I searched I didn't see that other topic come up.

I apologize if I bothered anyone here... I'm realizing people are real touchy regarding this brand... I did pay full price for the kit and I like it or did... Anyway thank you for the help here!

m in sc

no ones touchy about it, lol. Heck, i know nick, hes a good dude and i love that ignition, works very well.

to install, you need to remove the alternator housing, take the points cam out. but the alternator back on, and the rest should be covered in the instructions. only thing you need to watch out for it that :
as you face the alternator, the left pickup should trigger the left coil, and vice versa. however, this isnt always the case, sometimes its reversed, which really doesn't matter. but its easily remedied. I prefer to have them 'correct'. 

dont leave the key on for more than 2-3 minutes with the ign on, you can cook a pickup if its not running.

since you will be in there, i would suggest fresh coils and wires if they are original.

as far as timing, this applies.

Striker1423

If you read any of my posts on it, don't take any of my comments as an issue. I was not happy with it, but it was mostly my user error. It works just fine.