Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400 Spark there, then gone, then there again

Started by Organicjedi, July 06, 2019, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Organicjedi

Bit of a stumper, so I'll see what the experts have to say.

Went for a problem free 70mi a ride a few days ago on the 400. I pulled into a gas station for a fill up and as I was turning in, the bike backfired.

Filled up with gas and then the bike started up running on one cylinder. Checked for spark and found no spark on the right side. Swapped plugs still no spark on the right side. Left side was fine. Pulled the tank and swapped the lead wires going into the coils (NOT the plug wires.) Right side now had spark, left side did not. This lead me to believe the problem is not the coil and is further back possibly the ignition module.

Put it all together. Started the bike again. Idled only on the left. I noticed I was getting spark on both sides when the revs were up. I made it the last 14 miles home but spark on the right side was not consistent. The next day, both sides were sparking fine when kicking it over. I have not ridden it yet to see if it the right side kills again, but I assume it eventually will because I haven't changed anything.

Details:
Dyna S ignition, new HVC wiring harness, OEM coils with ballast resistor. Spooner and I secured the junction between the stator and wiring harness and also checked timing last weeked to work out some other issues.

Any ideas?

teazer

Dyna usually work or don't work, but sometimes they breakdown when hot. I'd try another module.  buy the cheapest working DYNA S you can find and strip out the modules.

quocle603

My dyna did that then other day. My right coil likes to fire twice instead just once. Something is up with the module.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC