Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Banshee motor in a 73 Rd350

Started by rodneya, August 29, 2019, 09:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a Banshee 421, 4mil motor for a good price. I know the motor mounts are not the same, but has anybody put a banshee motor in an aircooled frame and can give me an idea of how much the mounts would have to be modified to make it work

m in sc

i think the only one that fits is the lower rear but i could be wrong. welding is involved, its been done quite a few times. same mounts as an rz/lc

Jspooner

None of them fit. The upper front on the frame will be pretty close height wise but that's it. You will need to make spacers to center it in the frame. Lower rear will not be used. Upper rear is not even close but a mount can be fabbed. The upper rear on the RD frame needs to be removed and a new one welded on. I've done an LC bottom end in a TR3 frame (basically same as an RD frame). If you want I can PM you my number and you can call me and I can explain more in depth how I did it.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

motodreams

You also get to plumb for a radiator and associated accessories and weld mounts.  Not sure how much room there is under the spine for the head coolant related bits.

The Banshee transmission is also different than the RZ and may not be great for a street bike.

Where are you out of.

rodneya

Quote from: motodreams on August 30, 2019, 10:09:59 AM
You also get to plumb for a radiator and associated accessories and weld mounts.  Not sure how much room there is under the spine for the head coolant related bits.

The Banshee transmission is also different than the RZ and may not be great for a street bike.

Where are you out of.

Head water connections go down between the carbs and straight out the front, so no extra height needed, maybe just a few 90 deg bends

Im in Vancouver

rodneya

Quote from: Jspooner on August 29, 2019, 11:33:55 PM
None of them fit. The upper front on the frame will be pretty close height wise but that's it. You will need to make spacers to center it in the frame. Lower rear will not be used. Upper rear is not even close but a mount can be fabbed. The upper rear on the RD frame needs to be removed and a new one welded on. I've done an LC bottom end in a TR3 frame (basically same as an RD frame). If you want I can PM you my number and you can call me and I can explain more in depth how I did it.

thanks for the offer.

If I decide to go ahead I will definitely message you

motodreams

So then you need new motor and radiator mounts and then good to go or close enough.  I would double check total case length but it should be similar.  The WC twin was just a 'next-step' of the AC twin.  I would really look at putting a proper RZ transmission in that motor though otherwise you are going to be reving very high @ highway speeds or struggling to accelerate.  It is a CR box vs RZ WR which you want for street.

m in sc

nick put one in that ninja 250, it was actually pretty rideable. TBH, that set of LC cyls int he for sale section might be the ticket, they bolt right onto aircooled cases. thats what ive done, a few times

Jspooner

Quote from: m in sc on September 03, 2019, 05:12:37 PM
TBH, that set of LC cyls int he for sale section might be the ticket, they bolt right onto aircooled cases. thats what ive done, a few times

This would make more sense.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

rodneya

The motor I picked up has a broken rear mount witch as it turns out is a perfect fit with the Rd rear mount. Ill just cut the entire rear mount off and make a new one that fits the RD frame. Front mount is easy to make a spacer  to tie into whats there. And the rear bottom RD mount can be used to mount the banshee torsion bars ( mounts under the motor). Old LC's without these has issues with the motor moving around and breaking stuff.

Might take a while to get the motor put together, but it wont be hard to fit.