News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

machining services take 2 (old thread, new info)

Started by rdsarefun, October 31, 2023, 12:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdsarefun

I reached out to Bill Bune (Minnesota) from a recommendation on this forum and his prices seem very reasonable, Has anyone had extensive porting and or boring work done, and if so what were your thoughts?  Also any advice on using Banshee pistons in an RD with the skirt modifications needed?  Thanks, Brian

m in sc

very common to use banshee pistons on an rd. but there's no real benefit over other ones, or, IMHO, forged pistons vs cast unless its a full blown race motor. even then, not so much IMHO. I prefer to run the cast pro-x. my tzr runs cast pistons and it spins up to 11k no issues. over. and over again.  I have forged wisecos in my lightweight and while it runs fine it sounds like absolute shit idling.

Bill bune does great work, im more familiar with his stuff from the kaw triples.

rdsarefun

Hi Mark, Appreciate the quick reply.  My old engine that Chuck Q did work on  suggested I use the Pro X, he was not a fan of the Wiseco's due to the clanging and banging until they get warmed up. What "mods" need done to the skirt to use these within an RD, is their any writeup on this?

SoCal250

On the intake side of the piston, trim off the small tab on the bottom of the skirt below the windows. You want to cut it off so the skirt is straight across in that area. Smooth it out and then chamfer the outer edge
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

rdsarefun

Awesome, that what I was looking for.  Thank You all

m in sc

im going to play devils advocate here. you also can just radius the tab. I did this last time with a file.

mine and matts bike. zero issues.

irk_miller

IMO, the issue with cast pistons isn't so much about how they perform when everything is going great, it's how they fail.  Cast pistons tend to explode into a thousand screaming pieces while forged tend to just maul and deform.  I use them interchangeably, though.  My failures are usually bad decisions, not the style of piston I'm using.  LOL 

I learned the hard way that you really just need enough of a chamfer on the skirt to let it slide past the floor of the port when the piston swells, tab or not.